Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PVC or MDO or ?

Default PVC or MDO or ?

I have to make a 4' x 4'.5" ranch sign for a barn wall. Heat (Texas) will be an issue and not so much cold.
    I have only worked with Signfoam (HDU) before and that was many years ago.
    I have a chance to revive my small sign business and realize substrates have changed, especially in price.
    Just spent the last 4 hours reading Shop Bot Forum posts looking for info. I cant find out what the PVC is that I'm supposed to order. Open a catalog and I'm overwhelmed!
    Because of the size I plan to use at least 1" unless other suggestions are presented.

I have a Shop Bot Buddy but it has been so long since I used it I'm planning to do the sign in layers, letters, silhouette of cowboy roping cow, ranch brand, etc.

If I go with MDO the big box stores look at me oddly when I ask for it. Am I calling it by the right name?

I have attached a sign I did 12 years ago. All HDU and hand carved before my shop Bot. Loved the job and hope to get back to it.

Thanks for any advice you can pass on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes MDO (Medium Density Overlay) is the correct name… some large lumberyards might call it concrete form board, and you’re right… the big box guys haven’t a clue!
    It’s actually my go-to material for several type projects lately… I can’t seem to source a good PVC, just the foamed “Sintra” type material or narrow trim pieces at the lumber yard.
    These links will give you an idea what’s out there and what relative costs are.
    https://www.plywoodcompany.com/appli...categoryid=153
    Or
    https://www.plywoodcompany.com/appli...categoryid=151
    SG

I found problems with MDO. It has voids that you cannot see (covered with paper) until the boards are painted. the edges take forever to seal and prime and paint. Then the edges still don't last outdoors very long before the edges are bare and susceptible to moisture and swelling.

Just my take on it. Others may love it though.

You probably shouldn't make that type of sign out of MDO. MDO is plywood and when you carve into it, you're going to expose the layers which will have voids and also you're just asking the material to fail. MDO is primarily used as a backer board whether it is for a dimensional sign or a vinyl sign. If you chose to use MDO, you'd be using it as the base and applying letters, designs, ect to the face. I've read of people making pockets into MDO to apply the letters, designs, ect but I personally wouldn't do it. I just think you're inviting the material to fail.

PVC is going to be a foamed product no matter what. There are many different brands out there but there are two main types: interior and exterior. Typically, exterior PVC will be slick faced and interior PVC will be matte finish. This isn't always the case, but is often the case. You're best buying from a sign supplier. Komacel (not Komatex) is the brand of exterior PVC commonly stocked around here. I've used it more than once and have no real complaints about it. Just know after v-carving, you will have to go in and clean up the letters a bit.

Lastly, there is no reason you have to ignore HDU. Many many many people in the sign industry use HDU often and almost exclusively. You should be able to get Duna HDU fairly easily seeing it is made in Texas. It might be your best option considering you have experience with the material in the past.

Thanks Steve for the clarification on the MDO.
    I see you are in Garland, TX, and looked up several sign suppliers up there searching for HDU. By the time I paid for it then added shipping, I was over $600.00.
    None of the suppliers in Houston or Austin carry it and Dallas is an 8 hour round trip.
    After spending all day reading substrate related posts there are as many opinions on what to use and what not to use as there are posts.
    I'm glad to know you still use MDO frequently and don't have problems. I understand I should seal the edges well. Any suggestions on what to use.
    I plan to use layers to build up 3D using the MDO or exterior PVC that Ross has detailed. The decorative pieces I'll carve out of left over Signfoam.
    Appreciate the help.

rb99, Thanks for sharing your experience with MDO. What do you use primarily as your substrate?

RossMosh, Sounds like you too are not a fan of MDO. I'll do some research on Komacel exterior.
    Right now I have no access to HDU that is remotely close to being affordable. Used to easily get it when I lived in eastern, PA. and all the workshops I traveled to taught with Signfoam.
    I would love to experiment with Duna Corafoam. Baytown, Texas is 2.5 hours from me but you can't buy it there. Raymond Chapman told me you used to be able to to go and get odd size pieces and pay a discounted price. They are on the internet and in magazines but don't ever say where or how to buy it. I have called their offices and the staff is not informed about distribution to sign folks.
    Thanks for your input.

Lynn…
    Others issues with MDO are legitimate concerns… Specifications say that any exposed plys must be painted with two or more coats of quality paint. Personally, I’ve never had an issue with voids, in fact, the brand I buy is guaranteed to not telegraph grain or patches to the surface.
    I’ve made playground builder boards with MDO and milk crate dividers for plumbing parts. These uses may not be “real world” in that neither is left outside 100% of the time…
    I’d like to use the denser PVC but haven’t found a supplier anywhere near me, I’ve had poor success with Sintra with fading and sagging.
    https://www.plywoodcompany.com/appli...MDO%20Tech.pdf
    SG

Thanks for the link. Is the Olympic Panel what you use and who in Texas carries it?

Yes, the Olympic panel is what I use, I get it from “The plywood company” in Ft Worth. I tried to see if they (Olympic) have a distributor listing in their web site but no joy…
    SG