Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PVC or MDO or ?

I use foam board, and for sheet stock I use ACM (aluminum composite material).

Just use the correct materials and charge accordingly.

For your job perhaps the backer board MDO, then the subsequent layers PVC.

Lots of good advice here.

For panel signs of size I'm with rb99 except I would also include "DiBond". Or one of those aluminum products. MDO has so many advantages and is relative cheap. I can't see any advantage of using HDU as a panel material. It's expensive and relative delicate.

I love PVC but its HEAVY and can warp without support.

So for me it would be MDO and or one of the Poly Metal sheets.

Joe- ACM is Dibond (a brand name like PolyMetal). We also use a ton of it for a lot of things.

Gene,

I'm fond of the 1/4" version. It seems to take on a different character. I've done lots of experiments to find a paint to cover the edges with no success. Have you had any luck?

Dibond brand has a Polyethylene core… It’s very hard to paint due to its low chemical interaction levels, or at least that’s what I just read! Some people claim success with proprietary primers. Here’s a link to one of them…
    SG
    http://www.ppglic.com.au/uploads/tds...e%20primer.pdf

Wow. Lots of good advice here.

Unfortunately I live in an area that substrate supplies are almost impossible to get. I am an hour and a half from both Houston and Austin, TX. The ONLY supplier is Reese supply but they carry a very limited (like 5 sheets) of any brand of HDU. No sign supplier or Lumberyard within 3 hours of me carried MDO. Spend a full day calling around and searching the internet. Plenty of Dibond type products and aluminum products are available.

Like I posted earlier I have only had experience with Signfoam, I'll have to go back and research the forum on bits, speeds and properties of the substrates I do have accesss to.
    So...after reading all the advice, I purchased (2) sheets of 4x8 of 1" PVC. The sign is 4'x4'. I realize it will be heavy.

I have planned to have the sign hung on the barn side with two large aluminum French cleats attached both on top and bottom.

My question is... Is the 1" PVC AND the support of the aluminum cleats enough to help prevent warping? If I add a backing I'm adding to the weight.

All alternant suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

What we've not seen is the image or sign itself. Is this one to have much carving to it.

Here in Oklahoma, we get DUNA from Reese. It's the best HDU.

Last week I proposed a wall sign to a dental clinic. The materials are up to me and I'm considering MDO as the substrate since it's 10' wide. To get the custom, dimensional look I'll apply borders, panels and letters that will be cut from .75" Extira. Although this will make the sign less expensive, that's not the point. I'm wanting a 20 year sign that won''t warp. I'll post the drawing, if anyone is interested, in a few days.

What about HDU. I've had some miserable experience due to hail damage, with this product. Also it's way too expensive and you MUST be careful about it's installation. I've also found that it does harden and become brittle with age. Some of my ten year old signs have cracked. For many people ten years is asking too much but not for me.

If you're running a digital printer for a living, please disregard anything I say.

Joe,

I would like to see the interior wall sign for the dentist in progress.

No, wouldn't know any thing about digital printers. When I have the need I'll sub it out.

I live 2 hours from the Duna Manufacturing plant in Baytown, TX. After a call to them they gave me a reps name who referred me to Reese supply in Houston. They only had a 1/2 sheet of Duna Corafoam in stock. They claim there is not enough call for HDU to stock much of any brand. I asked what a 4x8 sheet was when they did carry Duna and they quoted me $247.46. Like you said, that's a bit expensive for a background. They don't carry Extira either. No one around here does. I may have to make a 12 hour trip to OK with my horse trailer just to shop.

I plan to route the edges with a hand router. I'm cutting letters from 1" Signfoam that I have pieces from an old job. Since I haven't learned my Aspire program well enough yet to do a proper layout I have resorted to mocking the sign up on a wall, full size. Way old school but I'm going over the tutorials nightly trying to absorb it all so I can use my ShopBot for more than a storage shelf. Bought the thing then, had financial issues and had to get a steady job for income. Haven't thrown in the towel yet.

If I can get my layout and design on the wall so it can be recognized by anyone but me I will post it for constructive criticism.

Lynn,

No apology needed for your learning curve. When I purchased my Bot it took me a full six months to put it together. Then another six months to get it going. I felt like an idiot. Looking back I wish I'd plunked down the money for a more sophisticated machine.

I often call Reese for products they don't have in stock but they're glad to get them for one of their other outlets at no extra charge. Would't they do the same for you. Extira is such an unusual product and carried by lumberyards Only. Reese does have some good MDO.

The sign I'll be making for Carman Family Dentistry is exterior and will be fabricated from MDO and Extira. I'll post the drawing a little later.

You should be able to do all your drawings with Aspire. I'd stay away from the 3d section. It's a waste of time. Don't worry about getting perfect drawings. It's doubtful there's anyone on this forum up for critical advice. Once again I always start out with a pencil. As a matter of fact I'll start off with a pencil drawing on the Carman project and post that. I always get started that way. The pencil is shorthand and fast. I may make a four or five drawings before I turn on the computer. When you have the drawing firmly in your mind setting the type and doing the profile comes easy. Even so, it's best leaving the drawing along for a few days before making a final decision

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    If you're running a digital printer for a living, please disregard anything I say.
    Do I detect a note of condescension?

"When I purchased my Bot it took me a full six months to put it together. Then another six months to get it going. I felt like an idiot. Looking back I wish I'd plunked down the money for a more sophisticated machine"

And what, pray, did that have to do with the Shopbot? Come on Joe- you are better than this. We all recognize that you are talented and successful in your chosen trade and would rather converse with true professionals. If you want to share your obvious wisdom... share it, but I think we all know by now how you feel about us amateurs... please let us luxuriate in our ignorance.