Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PVC or MDO or ?

Can't get a break here.

Reese supply sent me INTERIOR PVC (Excel). I called Jain America, their sign and graphics division, and they assured me it could be used outside. I am really n a bind and have to use it. I'll prime it well and use more coats of paint than originally planned. May be a redo down the line.

Sucks being living in the middle of nowhere.

Lynn

Thanks for the update fellows. I'll call Jain America for more clarification.
    One of the issue's is most PVC manufacturers do a poor job of identification of their products. Most of it doesn't even have a MFG stamp.

For the future Piedmont Plastics has a distributorship in Houston and carries a pretty full line of PVC and HDU sheet goods as well as a lot of other plastic sheet materials.
    I deal with them and they have always been helpful. But they only deliver here through 3rd party delivery service.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    For the future Piedmont Plastics has a distributorship in Houston and carries a pretty full line of PVC and HDU sheet goods as well as a lot of other plastic sheet materials.
    I deal with them and they have always been helpful. But they only deliver here through 3rd party delivery service.
    Dave,

They didn't come up on my a Google search under sign supplies, sheet PVC, building supplies or others. I'll call them as soon as I get this mess out of my way.
    The manufacturer gave me the names of other comanes in TX that buy from them.
    Thanks for your post.
    Lynn

Don't use the indoor stuff outdoors.

They carry Celtec which is outside compliant with high UV resistance.
    You can link to the product manuals on their website-lot's of good info there including recommended paints:
    http://www.vycomplastics.com/files/t...ser_guide1.pdf

It's a real shame this industry has so much mixed information floating around. There is no real reason for it but manufacturers and distributors can't get on the same page which just makes the end user's job even more difficult.

Here is a little guide, to the best of my knowledge PVC brand names, manufacturer name, and how the distinguish exterior vs interior grade.

Jain: Interior = Ex-CEL FF. Exterior = Ex-CEL IF
    Kommerling: Interior = Komatex. Exterior = Komacel
    Vycom: Interior = Celtic. Exterior = Celtic Ultra White
    Palram: Interior = Palight Premium/EPS/Project. Exterior = Palight Outdoor
    Azek: As far as I know, it's all exterior grade but, it's also matte finish.

As you can see, it's a complete failure in branding which results in the confusion. Only Kommerling makes an attempt to clearly distinguish the two products as being different. Palight also does a good job because they keep it simple and simply call it their stuff Palight Outdoor. No confusion there. The issue with Palight is they offer 3 different finishes and I believe one of them is a matte finish. How is a picker supposed to know the difference between Palight Outdoor with a matte finish and Palight Premium with a matte finish?

At least PALITE comes with a translucent cover sheet with their name on it. So far it's my choice but costs approx. $30 a sheet more than EX-CELl by Jain. That stuff stinks to high heaven and sells for about $120. a sheet.

Isn't it great we are even having this discussion. Two years ago few router guys even knew what it was. Even now, most think it can't be used for exterior use because the only thing they've tried is the cheap half inch interior grade.

Another interesting fact is the PALRAM has a 25 year warranty.

Definitely wish I'd had all this information on PVC a month ago. I could have made a more educated purchase.

As it was, Reese supply was a disaster. Salesman who claimed he has 26 years there.

After the truck delivery driver claimed he couldn't find my location, I had to send someone into Houston to pick up my order or wait another week. When I got my order the PVC sheets were 3/4" and not the 1" on my invoice. After checking with the manufacturer and the forum I realized I'd be sent interior PVC and not exterior.
    When I called Reese to complain salesman said he never knew there was a difference.

So, I worked all day on the interior PVC and just sat down to read the forum.

Does everyone agree with rb99 that the interior PVC will fail. Manufacturer Jain America told me it could be used. Why don't they label this stuff? Not one out of three PVC sheets and one Duna sheet was stamped in any way.

Lynn

I agree there's a need for a good forum to get opinions on materials and techniques. Not only that, a good forum can suggest suppliers and their locations. The SB forum has been the leader for years and I hope it continues to set the standard.

From what you've posted I think you have a case against Reese. Hope you make a copy of your post and forward it to their home office. At this time I'm getting ready to place an order for eight 19mm sheets of PVC. Your post made me re-think my order. While the Ex-Cel is (Jain) is cheaper I'm going with PAlight. It's available through N Glantz and Graphics Solution Group. We don't have a good supply for much anything else.