Thread: spindle won't start EF4 error

Default spindle won't start EF4 error

Yasakawa V7-4X
    Buddy Alpha
    Anyone have time and knowledge?

Spindle drive was working fine, now won't start.
    Drive Error Code: EF4
    All Parameters set correctly. (except n024, which shows RPM/1000; which is correct)
    The n053 setting is 4, which is normally closed (NC), and is the Multi-function Input Selection 4 (Terminal S4).
    EF4 "Causes and Corrective Actions" states "Check the external circuit (sequence)". This is the brown jacketed, blk and wht pair that comes from the controller.
    With the key ON, there is 24.74vdc across the blk/wht, which maintain NC condition in V7. With SB3 control software properly prepped, I push "Start" button, and and the voltage drops out (assume appropriate - should let switch in V7 go to Open).
    So, I assume the EF4 is saying the voltage/amperage is "ugly" (parity problem?) coming from controller?
    Don't see that I'm able to reset, except by changing n053 to 5 (factory, allowing reset); I did, it then showed the RPM, but still no joy. Set back to 4
    Other observations:
    on main controller board, the LEDs at "Spindle 1", "SR1", "SR2" are yellow.
    I APPRECIATE ANY KNOWLEDGEABLE FOLKS OUT THERE!
    thnx,
    Denis
    Denis O'Regan
    PRSalpha BT48-12
    slowly back to my roots

Is this a new to you build or something you've been running for a while?

Are you running the spindle speed control with it via USB?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Running fine for years. USB, yes. did go to a new hub (think 3.0) some months ago, and it's been running fine. Before this fault, I had just banged the Z down (not running spindle) and I had to reboot and reset, including x,y limit routine. The Z-axis doesn't have limit stops, and is set-upped to 8". (I have a 12" Z though).
    Denis O'Regan
    PRSalpha BT48-12
    slowly back to my roots

So when you run keypad mode, and toggle Alt+1 (Output 1), you've got 24v to start, then it cuts out (voltage goes low) when you press Start? Is there an error on the spindle speed control program, or just on the VFD?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Yes,
    keypad and output #1 are on and I get the 'press start' pop-up window, pressit, and the 'ok' the popup.
    the error is just on vfd.
    the EF4 doesn't reset. when I turn on the key to activate the vfd, the EF4 reappears.
    my understanding: the S4 terminal in the V7-4X, is NC. it is closed until the 24v goes away, when 'start' button is pushed.
    my SB3 'RPM Control' reads 9,000.
    I went into vfd Parameter n053 and changed the ShopBot setting of "4", to factory setting of "5", which allows it to reset. still no joy. then, on restarting everything, the vfd reads 9.0 (as I would expect); then, no joy starting, so I reset n053 to "4", no joy again, restart and see EF4.

thnx for your time.
    Denis O'Regan
    PRSalpha BT48-12
    slowly back to my roots

Have you checked the wiring in the VFD itself? I've had situations where one of the 2 wires got yanked out of the terminal block in the VFD. I've also seen it where they were both in the terminal block & pulling & reseating the connection fixed the problem. It might be worth a check.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Have you checked the wiring in the VFD itself? I've had situations where one of the 2 wires got yanked out of the terminal block in the VFD. I've also seen it where they were both in the terminal block & pulling & reseating the connection fixed the problem. It might be worth a check.

-B
    I'll try it. thnx.
    you asked about USB. I may have read (some other part of vfd) that fast commands, stepping on each other, might cause a problem. Perhaps I'll try slowing my speed setting in SB3.
    I hope tech support is in tomorrow. I was behind schedule, and hoping to make up over the weekend.
    Denis O'Regan
    PRSalpha BT48-12
    slowly back to my roots

The speed control shouldn't hiccup no matter what the SB is doing in terms of USB/pulse stream data speeds. It isn't putting out or receiving much data in either direction...only a few bytes.

I am sure support is around tomorrow & that they will know right away what the deal is.

-B