Thread: Cutting Masonite Faced Foam Board

Default Cutting Masonite Faced Foam Board

I have the task of cutting a product. I have to cut a 2D semi complicated shape out of 1" XPS Foam(at least that's the best I can figure) with .08" Masonite faces. I'm cutting with 1 pass using 1/4" bits. RPM tested between 17,000 and 10,000

I've tried 3 bits and each have their problems:
    1. Standard 2 flute Up-Cut Endmill. This resulted in two issues. The first being the edge facing up is tearing and results in a good bit of sanding. The bigger issue is the masonite is heating up the bit and as a result the foam is welding to the bit. This is translating to the foam core.

2. O Flute downcut. Left undesirable edges both on the masonite and foam.

3. O Flute upcut. Slightly better than the downcut, but only slightly.

So I'm at a bit of a loss how to handle the project. Without going into too much of an explanation, buying a bit for the job is not really an option. My only creative idea is to do the job with 3 passes. Top masonite. Foam. Bottom masonite.

do you ahve the Masonite up or down? down would seem good and using a upcut bit foam does not tear with a upcut and a upcut cutting the masonite would not tear either. when cutting foam you can't have any shaft touching the foam only flutes. oops I see masonite on both faces. have you tried two passes on to cut the face the second all the way through?

you could also cut the shapes slightly larger and then cut the actual size in a single pass to clean it up. I have cut many different foams with ease using a good sharp 2 flute up cut. When I first started I went through every type of bit without even considering the standard 2 flute when nothing else worked I tried it and it was good. I also set up an airline to blow a constant steam of cool air blowing on the bit, It doesn't keep every bit of foam off the flutes but it definatly helps
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

I'm with Tom on this one. By using one of the "premium" double fluted bits with a clean-up pass seems to work every time. Because I'm not a vacuum hold down person, bridges or tabs would serve.