Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i fix this mess?

Default How do i fix this mess?

The mfg when i asked told me stain would wipe off of the plastic resin. He said to sand it down and sand down the bartop and i tried to apply the stain but my hands shake so much that i messed up and when i tried to wipe it off it acts like it stains the plastic.

Is there some solution like nail polish remover or (?) i can use to clean the letters like with a Q tip? Or any other ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack, I have no experience with the epoxy, but if it were mine I would try denatured alcohol. If that did not work, lacquer thinner and then acetone. I would try these because I have them on hand. I would also try the nail polish remover. If none of these work I might try re-mounting on the shopbot and skimming some off the letters and re-pouring. Before re-mounting to shopbot I would apply 2-3 coats of lacquer or shellac, let dry for 2-3 days and apply paint mask, and then skim and re-pour.

And don't forget Goof Off. Sometimes it is just the thing!

I don't know what brand of epoxy you used, I used denatured alcohol to really thin mine out, don't know if it would take it off, nail polish acetone are the same thing.

Bob

Remember acetone is one of the most carcinogenic thinners / chemicals you can get, and it gets ready access to your blood supply through your fingernails. Wear gloves and a mask and use outdoors if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rb99 View Post
    Remember acetone is one of the most carcinogenic thinners / chemicals you can get.
    No, not at all. It's actually quite tame.

But as with anything mask and gloves are a good idea.

(didn't know until I fact checked the above that acetone is actually produced in the body under certain conditions)

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Jack be very careful with what you use to remove the stain. If you use acetone or lacquer thinner it may just remove the stain but leave the finish with a hazy finish. It may very well slightly melt the epoxy leaving a hazey finish. What you have done is applied the stain in the sandpaper scratches and when you wipe the stain off you are above the stain down in the scratches. I would try some wet and dry paper using water and try to remove the stain that is left. It that works then go to a very fine polishing compound, Auto paint store only, and polish the letters. You would be surprised as to what a person can save if they use a little bit of patience. Don't hurry your job and you can save a lot of extra work. Hope this helps!

If all else fails try some xylene, super duper solvent.
    Might have to go to a dedicated paint store/epoxy supply to find some, I have yet to find anything this stuff won't remove.

"one of the most carcinogenic thinners / chemicals you can get" - Might have been thinking about xylene, acetone isn't that hazardous, xylene is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8MFG View Post
    No, not at all. It's actually quite tame.

But as with anything mask and gloves are a good idea.

(didn't know until I fact checked the above that acetone is actually produced in the body under certain conditions)
    In Canada about 17 years ago the govt took it out of the workplace. My friend who is doctor warned me about it. Take care.
    Last edited by rb99; 11-29-2015 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb99 View Post
    In Canada about 17 years ago the govt took it out of the workplace. My friend who is doctor warned me about it. Take care.
    Now I'm pretty sure you're confusing your solvents. Canada has certainly not removed acetone from the workplace.

Acetone has been cleared by Canada Health as more or less fine for normal use. It's in a huge number of everyday consumer goods. Nail polish remover comes to mind, as does a number of achene medications and cosmetics.
    http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...s/acetone.html
    http://www.chemicalsubstanceschimiqu...cetone-eng.php

And back to the topic at hand.