Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porter Cable 75182 repair, or just trash it?

after all of the years of abuse that i have put my router through i just went to amazon to order one. I will put the old one on the shelf for back up. they had just reduced the price to 279 but when i went to check out there was a 20 dollar promo discount, so i got it for 259, plus free shipping.

Default 3-d

If you need to call precise they have always been very helpful and will spend the time with you that you need.

I do primarily 3-d and have never had anything other that a porter cable router. I dont know if a spindle would give me better quality or speed, but i do find it hard to believe that it would.

But here are some 3-d's to look at that were done by the pc router.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's the third time this month I bought woodworking stuff a week before the price went down! Amazon collects sales tax from me so it would have been $275 and change so I only lost about $10.00 this time. Frankly I'd rather give some company $10.00 more than let the yahoos around here waste the $20.00 in tax I would have paid.

It's hard to argue with the results. Nice work.

I found a pretty good tutorial on bearing replacement here http://reproductionwoodworks.blogspo...ter-cable.html I DID NOT remove the brushes or mess with any of the wiring like he says though. I only pulled the brush springs back and the brushes themselves and left everything in place.

After getting everything back together it runs again. However, it still has the "rattle" in the top end. The brand new router motor I bought as first line back up does not rattle when you shake it. I think the top bearing housing (cast aluminum) is just worn out. EReplacementParts.com (my source for brushes and bearings) doesn't list this part. When I have time I'm going to try to add some shims between the bearing and it's housing.

Anyone ever have this happen with their brushes. I put my last brushes to the test and when i checked them, i am surprised that the router was even running. So i broke out some spare brushes and back in business. The new set had very little use when I finished a 3-d carving this morning. When i went to start a v-carving tool path the router would not even start, even doing the F1 command it would not start (i may have listed the command wrong but it is suppose to start the router). I tapped the housing with a hammer and boom the router started. I could see all kinds of sparking in the housing a good indicator that the brushes were bad. I removed the brushes and they looked almost new. I re-installed them and started my v-carve file and the router is running just fine with no sparks. Now can anyone explain to me whats going on?

Take a look at the area of the armature that the brushes ride on. Replacing brushes can make a huge difference, but there is a limited amount of wear the armature can take. If you've had multiple sparking/arcing incidents, this contact area may be worn out. Seems to take longer for brushes to break in as this surface wears over the years. You may simply have dislodged some debris by removing and replacing, hence the better performance.

You should at very least clean that surface each time you replace brushes. Best to use a pencil eraser, as it will gently pull burned/scorched soot off, revealing more clean copper surface for brushes to ride on and optimize conductivity. If deep gouges are present, the motor may be past its usable life span, as it looks like about $185 is going rate for a replacement armature.

jeff

Thanks and i never thought about the pencil eraser and will use that next time. My first motor was still performing well, but i did get a new one and put the old one on the shelf not that long ago

My repair place completely rebuilt my 7518 for 187.50. When I took it in for them to put together I asked and she said that the "worst case scenario" would be $187.50. So no matter what was wrong with it that is the most I'd pay. By the way, when I took them this router motor, is was completely torn apart, as the guy I bought the router from though he could fix it, tore it apart and gave up, and bought a new one.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

That pencil eraser advice might very well be good advise. I just tried it and quiet a bit of black material came off on the eraser. Now each time i change my brushes i will user the eraser as well.