A federal Judge ruled against an appeal by Ryobi Parent on a case that awarded 27K to a guy who cut off three fingers on his Ryobi portable. The Jury ruled in favor of the plaintiff based on negligence by Ryobi in selling a saw without stop technology.
Below link from article in Woodworking Network:
http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/ne...ogy-table-saws

I imagine there will be further appeals.

The overall affect could mushroom. As the Consumer Safety Council considers a regulation requiring flesh sensing technology on all table saws the obvious conclusion to me is that the uproar is being exaggerated by the lawsuits. No doubt that the technology, per se, is good. And certainly the cost up front is way cheaper than injury. On the other hand the vast majority of woodworkers have no major injury in their entire lives. I have only seen a blade jump out of a saw once. Of course, it was because the idiot didn't tighten the nut properly and the blade didn't actually leave the area as it was coming loose.

Would they next require such technology on band saws, table routers, shapers, jointers? These are arguably much more dangerous to operate than a table saw.