Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling PowerStick Owners

Default Calling PowerStick Owners

I've had my BT48 standard for about 6 months. Its the older aluminum table style BT. When I first purchased the BT I spent the extra to go with the 48" width with the idea down the road I might buy an 8' PowerStick so I could process full size sheets if I wanted to. Coming from a PRT96 there have been a few times I wish I had the extra size back again. Besides the money issue, my concerns about how accurate the PowerStick is going to be has held me back from buying one. Now I have the money...and I'm getting cold feet since most of my projects are cabinet style projects, and I like to slot and rabbit and notch to lock the project together. Z accuracy seems like it could be a pretty big issue since plywood is the main base for the work piece. I'm not worried about speed very much since my production days are over and I use my BT mostly for my own purposes. Having the extra capacity would however allow me to be able to take on some larger side jobs and maybe even pay for the Powerstick upgrade, but I need to be able to rely on it. I know these questions have been asked before...but I was really looking for some real world experience with the PowerStick. Did it meet your expectations...have you been able to get it to be as accurate as the regular set up? Any unexpected problems and how did you over come them? Thanks for the help.

Erik,

I have the 12-foot PowerStick on my machine and had some problems with jerkiness in the x-axis from the weight of the stick, spoilboard and piece as they got farther away from the head but I put a small conveyor (from Harbor Freight) on each end and that problem has gone away. I would think that the Z accuracy would not be a problem as the section of the PowerStick in use at any time is centered under the head in the middle of the 2 foot frame and is fully-supported by the roller balls on each of the crossbars. I worried that the length of the stick would act as a lever, raising up the center and causing the Z to fluctuate, but now that I have the conveyor sections I am pretty confident that I have solved that issue. I don't do anything yet that requires the degree of accuracy some people seem to think they need. Maybe once I have had the machine longer I will run into that problem. Time will tell...
    Mike

39289.jpg

Thanks for the pic and post...I have the standard...so going the 12' route isn't possible, also...I don't know if I could find a place to run it. Looks like a great set up!

Erik,

I can't run big stuff on rainy days (like today) but since the weather is normally good in NC, that's about the only thing that stops me. I set the machine by the door so I can cut small stuff with it closed but if I need 4' x 12', I just open the door and let her run. I'm learning (I got my machine in late October and only get to play on weekends). Cutting Komotex for my sign shop friends is a great way to help pay off the machine. They gave me a sample of the acrylic they use to try so I may be picking up that business as well.

Mike

The potential is great with the powerstick and I would most likely set mine up much like yours, in front of the garage door. I guess I would have to really temper my expectations with the Powerstick. It really is true...nothing comes for free...

I mostly wanted the extra length to be able to do 12' sections of carved molding for my remodeling projects. It certainly fills that need.
    The moving table makes vacuum hold-down a little more difficult. I have a customer that I currently laser-cut small pieces of plastic out of 12 x 24" sheets. I was hoping to use the router but I am having problems holding the pieces once they are cut free. I don't want to use tabs as that would require cleanup (which means more time). I built a plenum (sitting under the table in the picture) with gaskets but am having difficulty getting enough suction at this point. I will figure it out, I am sure, but I will need to work on the design some more...

I am using vacuum and love it. I pretty much copied Brady's system for the BT with a few twists of my own. 1"x3" aluminum tube fits great under the moving table. I'm also using my version of the 9-15 vac motor setup. How small are the pieces you are trying to cut?

Erik
    I have the 8ft Power Stick and have cut some pieces up to 52" long with dadoes and rabbets, etc. I had the same concerns as you, but with the proper outfeed system, all has turned out well. It was expensive, but works well and I would do it again. joe

Thanks Joseph,
    Is your unit a standard or alpha if you don't mind me asking? Even though speed is not much of a concern with the powerstick for me, I still wonder, how limited the speeds need to be for the standard unit.

Erik, it is a standard BT 32 I am a home hobbiest and do not try for ultimate speeds. I usually cut profiles at around 1.5"/ sec. which is fine. Again, I am satisfied with mine, but do recommend the factory outfeed system. By the way, make sure they send the right little flat nuts that hold down the ply to the Power Stick. There are two different kinds. joe