Thread: Chamfering using vectors?

Default Chamfering using vectors?

The university wants me to cut this out for them and sent me the dxf and the stl. I don't think this is critical so the chamfer angle doesn't need to be exact as on the stl.

If i 3d carve the chamfer angle it will take 13 hours to carve. I want to just take a round over bit and select the vectors and carve it that way taking far less time.

I know the depth of cut will determine the curve of the chamfer but do i need to offset the vectors? It's 4AM and i'm just confused...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I know what I'd do.

This isn't a job for a CNC. I'd pull out my little 1hp finish router and install a 3/8" bearing bit. Zip, Zip and your through.

I agree with Joe. It would take more time and have a bigger chance of messing it up trying to do that on the bot

You said it was a chamfer so I'd use a V bit and a profile (inside and outside) toolpath. V Carve figures out the offset for you.

If you use a 90 degree v bit, the final through cut to cut out the piece has to be offset the same distance as the v cut was deep. Once again, you can use a profile cut and the allowance offset to enter the distance.

Let V Carve "do the figuring" and sip an extra cup of coffee while the bot does the work.

Paul Z

It's 4AM and i'm just confused...
    I meant a roundover edge, not a flat chamfer....I decided to do exactly what was recommended before i came back here, by using a handheld. It's a wonder what a few hours of sleep will do to refresh your braincells.

Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson