Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was saving for a PRS Alpha when I stumbled onto this, thoughts?

The question you should be asking is: What do I need this machine for? If the answer is purely hobby use, and you can get the thing for really cheap, then maybe it might be worth it. If you want to do it for production and make money with it, then the big problem will probably be down time when it breaks. Without any sort of support or spares, you could be down for months from a critical failure. Hardly something you want to bet the farm on. For hobby use, being down for a couple of weeks won't matter and if the quality is subpar, then you adjust your usage accordingly. You can play with it for a while and continue saving for a replacement.

Then again, you might be able to pick up a used SB for the same or less and have support, spares and repeatability. You have to decide.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Not hobby but not production, I run a rapid prototyping shop. Definitely needs to be reliable through, that's a valid concern.

The first thing that jumped out at me was...if he's only had it for 3 months and he's selling it, you have to ask yourself WHY? Plus all your support and parts are overseas. Shopbot is MADE IN THE USA. Support is here (including us!)

I'd go with another Shopbot.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

After looking closely at it, it appears to be well made.

What materials do you want to cut?

Quote Originally Posted by rb99 View Post
    After looking closely at it, it appears to be well made.

What materials do you want to cut?
    You seem to be the first one to think so. Mostly plywood and foam, some aluminum now and then.

Find another ShopBot. You'll know what you are getting.

From a mechanical standpoint, that machine is not engineered for work. It appears very much like DIY machines that people have put together. If you want something like that, build your own. Otherwise, I would buy another ShopBot. If the SB has been working well for you, why would you jeopardize your work with an unproven design?

If you just liked the red color, you can paint your bot red...The SB Standard machines are superior to the machine that you show, so don't get caught up in it needing to be an Alpha. A Standard is fine for most work.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Tough to make any comments on its structural rigidity from viewing pics ... Weak point to me appears to be the router itself, it looks like a glorified dremel tool.

As others have stated, support/parts/repairs should be a factor in your decision as well. The guy is claiming to have $15K into it, says "no low ballers, I know what its worth" ect, then doesn't even state a price. He is probably seeking at least $10K, far too much IMO for a machine whos main selling point seems to be a parts machine made in Germany.

I don't think that machine would have any re-sale value compared to a ShopBot. the frame looked awfully flimsy, not necessarily the components, but the component size compared to the machine size seemed small. Also, the steppers are NEMA 23 which, I believe, is not as powerful or heavy duty compared to the ShopBot......joe

I just saw this:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/tls/5360390275.html

Quite a good deal if you ask me. You could probably get it for $18k and it includes the 12" indexer. If you didn't want that, you could probably sell it. That's about $5k new.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

That is one crazy deal. Indexer, drag knife, air drill, there's everything there. And it's never been turned on.
    I don't know how much he'd move on the price, but I bet he'd throw in the dust collector at his asking price.