Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was saving for a PRS Alpha when I stumbled onto this, thoughts?

Default Was saving for a PRS Alpha when I stumbled onto this, thoughts?

I've had a Desktop for a few couple years and love it, I'm looking for something much larger now, was previously planning for a PRS Alpha but I just found this thing on craigslist and it has me tempted.

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/5354473651.html

I'm meeting with the seller to ask more questions to make a better comparison, have any questions or concerns I should bring up? Foremost in my mind at least is the zeroing system, I love the aluminium plate too much to switch to anything else.

keep saving your money...
    Vector Studio 22

He was robbed, that would be good for cutting foam possibly.
    Screw drive PRS Alpha, Trotec 400/80w, Fiber 30w.

"looking for something much larger now" My first observation is that machine looks awful lightly built for a 5x10 table. My bot took two really hefty dudes to just place the gantry on my table. I agree with above comments, might be great for foam but, oak, walnut, etc. Have him show you some sample cuts on material that YOU are looking to use. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

It is hard to guess the rigidity and usability just by looking at the machine. I would also be concerned about the apparently light build of the gantry. When you meet, take a fishing scale and a dial gage. Rest the gage finger against the bit (or better a straight rod in the collet) and tug on the collet with the scale in various directions while the drives are "on", maybe 20 pounds. Then divide the scale reading by the measured displacement, giving you the actual rigidity. When tugging in opposite directions, you get also a measure for the backlash.
    Anything below 1000 lbs/in is almost useless. Above 3000 lbs/in it becomes a good router for wood and light cuts in aluminum, above 10,000 lbs/in it becomes quite usable for aluminum in heavier cuts. At least you can measure this on your desktop as a benchmark and compare with the big machine. Let them cut e.g. a 6"x6" square and measure with a caliper.
    Of course there are other important things to look for like speeds or repeatability (return to the same position). You can use a zero-plate with Mach3, as far as I know. You won't have the same great community to support as you have here but you can get a lot of information on the CNC-Zone forum

Kind of strange that he posted no specs for motors and a Kress Router is no tool for a large bed machine.
    This does not come close to comparing to an Alpha.

I would think the danger is buying in to a machine like this, regardless of specs, is it's a one off design with zero support. What happens when something critical breaks or wears out? You'd have to custom make a replacement. That may cost more then it's worth or take way too much time to deal with. The beauty of a out-of-the-box system is it has spare parts, support and years of proven design. My advice: Continue saving for the SB. Better to buy a used SB then this one off system.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Not what I expect from German Precision Engineering.

He said make offer $1000 would be about right

Aww, I had high hopes, thanks for the feedback though.

I really liked the bed setup, the 4x8 spoil board and 2x2 tslot separation. I was thinking of having a 4x8 PRS and keeping my Desktop on the side for similar functionality, was hoping this could be a reasonable alternative to both. I'm sure I could get a 5x10 PRS and set something similar up but I don't think I would, and there is the extra cost.