Thread: Machining strategy square model on my indexer?

Default Machining strategy square model on my indexer?

I bought this model off ebay and i know i have seen a video on youtube about wrapping a square object on a square material, not sure who made it, but recall an object in red like a baluster with a square top but that's all i recall about it. I would like to make this object 4"x4"x36" but not sure anymore about a lot of things i used to know off the top of my head.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

You don't want to unwrap that. You will get rotary distortion no matter what. Instead, machine it from 4 sides. Create 4 separate models, with the same 0,0,0 reference and 4 sets of toolpaths. The only thing you need to do is a table turn of 90 deg in between them. It's super easy to do and will yield superior results to unwrapping.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Will there be no distortion of the cutting due to "overlapping" of the toolpaths along the edges?

Thanks....."Master PO"
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Will there be no distortion of the cutting due to "overlapping" of the toolpaths along the edges?
    No. If you are using ArtCAM, Aspire or PW3D, all undercuts will fall to zero as a straight wall anyway. There should not be any gouging. However, gouging IS possible when unwrapping. It seems to happen in just about any software that unwraps for some reason.

Consistent, precise Zzeroing (and XY homing) is essential to success. So is locking the headstock down so that it doesn't rock from backlash in the gearhead.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com