Thread: New Router - No Ground

Default New Router - No Ground

Caught in a bind this evening on my older BT32. Router died tonight. Had no backup, so had to run to Lowes to buy a Bosch $219 router. However, the new router does not have a 3 prong plug, just 2. So when I use my Z-plate to zero, in will not complete the circuit. What is the best fix for this until I get my other router repaired? I have never used alligator clips with this setup, only the z-plate. Any help would be much appreciated. :-) -Matt

put the z-axis grounding clip on the collet.

...so I think I figured this out. A slight hassle, but will have to deal with it. For those of you that might run into this some day....So again, my previous makita router (which the machine came with from previous owner) had a 3 prong plug. All I had to do is put the z-plate under the bit and c2 and go on to cutting. Now, that the new router has no ground (weird), I have to run a small ground cable from another source. So I connected a alligator cable to the controller and ran that to a metal point on the frame on the buddy. Now when I touch the z-plate to the router (or anywhere on the buddy), I get a light.
    So now my question is...will I start to have weird issues, since there is no ground on the router...should I leave the ground connected all the time or only when z-ing?