Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dialing In a Buddy

Sorry, Erik, but I missed the part where you described your own experience. All I heard were suggestions of how my observations might be wrong. I certainly appreciate your good-heartedness in appointing yourself my personal Buddy (and now manners) guru, but if you can't bring yourself to take my questions seriously... or even if you just don't find me appreciative enough... you really aren't obliged to comment at all. I'll muddle through somehow.

That said... I have no reason to believe this is a malfunction, and slowing down that far isn't a solution. Like I said, I'm really just looking for thoughts on the best strategy for making a fine calibration adjustment.

Gerald may have had it right... this may be something I need to take to a larger pool than just this Buddy sub-forum.

LM Custom Woodcrafts, Cortlandt Manor New York

We all take everybody's questions seriously, otherwise why would we take the time to come up with possible solutions?
    You are right - you aren't appreciative enough, so guess you'll either have to put up with helpful suggestions, or have to muddle along alone.

Add to last post - not trying to flame anyone, just making the point, we all try to help each other. Frustration sometimes makes it hard to appreciate helpful hints, especially when the suggestions don't solve the problem. But at least you are getting input from others who might have similar problems, which might help solve your problem.

Gerald, Lou and even you Art!

OK, I get it... I'm incapable of telling what's helpful to me. Everything that gets posted here (by anyone other than myself) is perfectly correct and precisely on-point. And I'm an ingrate for imagining otherwise for a single second. What WAS I thinking?

Whatever... life is short and the tribe has spoken. And who can argue with logic like that?

Lou and Erik both slipped in ahead of my previous post and cooled the tone a bit, which is a good thing.

Nonetheless, I think we all may want to check our agendas a bit if we assume that we're entitled to have everything we say here automatically treated as if it were purest gold. Realty exists: the iron doesn't care how sincere we are. I assume that a community of craftsfolk appreciates that.

Somewhere along this thread I got characterized as "frustrated," which turned out to be pretty much self-fulfilling. Actually I hadn't felt frustrated up to that point... I was just trying to correct what I saw as a degree of topic drift.

In fact, being labeled that way ticked me off precisely because I had the distinct sense, rightly or wrongly, that I was the object of a degree of projection by folks who were themselves frustrated that they weren't getting the degree of flattery they assumed their inputs deserved.

But I'm certainly prepared to be wrong about that.

Art, to get back to your original question..
    What I have done on mine with the X and Y is to drop 2 holes along the axis at a large convenient distance apart, measure accurately, and tweak the factory set unit values to compensate. They are VERY SLIGHTLY different, but my cuts are all now spot on. One could no doubt do the same with the Z, but it has never bothered me, and the 4 thou you reported in post 1 is probably as much to do with the vagaries of Z zeroing, measurement and material thickness.

Art is the perfect name for you, because you are a piece of work my friend! Good luck I hope you work it out.

Ditto Erik.....
    Last post for me on the subject.

Try playing with the unit values a little. I had to tweak mine, my x znd y cuts were off by about 1/32 over 48" and x was off by about 1/16 over 96". Same percentage error on x and y. Call Shopbot, they can calculate for you which values to enter. Example - 1833.4455 might need to be 1833.3455, etc.... Or just calculate it yourself. Take the unit value for x and y, and try either adding or subtracting .05 percent from it.
    There. A suggestion. Worked for me. MIGHT work for you. It will definitely change your cuts by the percentage you change it by. Still don't know why mine was off like that, but at the suggestion of SB support, I tried that to compensate for the error.

OK, so... a couple of folks HAVE observed the same sort of thing, and their strategy was to tweak their unit values globally.

Seems so simple when we all stay on point, doesn't it? Thanks.

(As for anyone who's still nursing a personal grievance... I'd encourage you to reflect on your own motivations. Were you really posting out of a desire to help someone else, or is it possible your primary concern was for your own ego? Just asking...)