Thread: new racks go with a dry lube?

Default new racks go with a dry lube?

I got 8 years almost 3000 hours and can't get rid of the slop so time for new racks. but debating on a less mess lube anyone else get long life out of something cleaner?

I don't use my machine as much as you but I use Dyna-Glide
    http://legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=12
    you can probably find it elsewhere but this is a link where i've gotten it before. I use it on my jointer, planer, bandsaw also. You spray it on and it dries quickly and isn't oily residue.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I recall that Brady suggested not to use anything but good quality grease a few years ago. Maybe he will chime in and verify or deny.

I think you meant this thread David?
    Took me a while to spell "Schluckification" correctly
    scott
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/arc...p/t-20315.html
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Synthetic grease is best. It is thick enough to provide a little bit of cushion between the gears. Steel on steel is bad. Whatever Wallymart sells is probably fine.

Dry lubes don't really do it. They are just too light. There are 2 other options. 1) ...is a spray grease made by Cyclo. It comes in a green can @ auto parts store. It sprays out liquid and hardens to a grease. 2) Rub paraffin wax (I didn't say soy...leave the old lady's candle collection out of this...) along the rack and work it in.

Use your best judgement for whatever you use. Too much is as bad as too little, unless you like dust embedded in your racks, globs that randomly drop on your work or grease slathered all over parts of your machine that have no business being greased.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I might want to clarify my earlier answer. I use the drylube on my other machines like i said but use the dynaglide on the top of the rails and wheels but use the grease supplied by SB for the rack and pinions always.

I take a toothbrush and apply as best i can. I learned my lesson of applying too much grease as i was always coming out of the shop with "teethmarks" on my tshirt from bending over the machine.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

"coming out of the shop with "teeth marks" You know for a long time I thought that was the 'official' ShopBot T-Shirt! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

I never get teeth marks from mine anymore. I cut some thin 030 plastic into strips just a hair wider than the rack and double sided taped it to the rack as a cover. It hangs down just a little and the between the gear and shaft of my steppers.

That's the one, thanks Scott. Never have much luck searching the forum.

Me too David.
    Usually resort to Google with a preface "Shopbot Forum" or "let's talk shopbot".
    Took a bit this time, as I kept start with "Shmuck..."
    Must have been thinking about myself
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine