Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ply rocking horse

Default ply rocking horse

Back in 2012 when I purchased my Shopbot, I started drawing a rocking horse in Aspire, which I planned to build for my then 1 yr old son, Joseph.

Well, as time carried on (Joe's now almost 5) I never did get to it.

A few weeks ago, I found the file I started, and thought it was time to actually finish it up and make one for my other boy, Max, who's approaching 1 1/2.

The whole rocking horse is cut from a 1/2 (48" by 48") sheet of 12mm (1/2") Baltic birch plywood. The rockers are two layers, the head is three, and the body is kerfed from underneath, with a 1/8" bit, to bend neatly around the radius. There is one other rectangular piece of ply set into a groove where the radius stops. The body is very strong.

The only other part is a few lengths of maple dowel I turned on my big copy lathe.

I have to make a few small tweaks to the file (want to move the placement of the holes in the body a wee bit to have the horse sit a bit more towards the rear at rest). But if anyone wants the file let me know, I'd be happy to share. I cut it out with a 1/4" bit and did the kerfs with a 1/8" bit. WHen you bend the ply the kerfs close up, and I got the spacing bang on.

Here is my older son, Joe, testing the thing out before Christmas...

Andrew

Thats is fantastic! Looks great and lots of fun for the little ones. I've been thinking of doing something similar, would love the file to play with.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Dan,
    Just send me a PM with your email. I will tidy up the file today if I can (just tweaking a few minor things) and send it out. I am also adding the tail, which I cut by hand on the band saw, but there is lots of room to put it onto the material as well.

The main change I did is make the rocker slightly non- symmetrical - so make sure when you glue them up, they both face the same direction. And put the longer arm of the rocker to the front, to get the body back about an inch past the center of the arc. The horse rocks well.

Andrew,
    Sorry to say that as good as the horse is it takes second stage to the smiles.
    I'd say it was a successful cut
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott,
    My little guy is a bit small yet to get up on it by himself - but it wont be long. Maybe another month or two by the way hes growing!

I have the file cleaned up. Should have all parts necessary - except the dowel. I left about 3/32" material for the kerfed section, and ran the face ply across the width of the body. A little damping of the ply makes it easier to bend, and I eased mine little at a time until it curved around and the kerfs closed up.

Again, just PM me your email, and I can send the Aspire file. I saved it in version 4, so you dont need the latest to open it.

I can't believe that is "Little Joe" already! Have you been feeding him a steady supply of sawdust in his oatmeal so he carries on the family business? What is fun about the pictures is that the kid is happy with a toy that is NOT electronic.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    I can't believe that is "Little Joe" already! Have you been feeding him a steady supply of sawdust in his oatmeal so he carries on the family business? What is fun about the pictures is that the kid is happy with a toy that is NOT electronic.
    Jack
    The only electronic thing we have is my old iPad. He gets to watch a few kids videos on YouTube once and a while. And a few kids apps.

Mainly he does regular kid stuff like I did. Lego, hot wheels, other traditional boy toys like nerf guns etc. No sling shots yet lol. Maybe next summer. I did get him a cool slot car set for Christmas. Kind of for me too lol.

I have always suspected that the Shopbot was developed due to a childhood fascination with Erector Sets.
    Bill (who obviously loved Tinker Toys when he was a kid) may admit that at some point but not sure Ted would!
    If you look at the first one with the cables and sliding door wheels there is a definite resemblance!
    I'd like to play with that but would need exported lines as my highest Vectric software is VCP.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    I have always suspected that the Shopbot was developed due to a childhood fascination with Erector Sets.
    Bill (who obviously loved Tinker Toys when he was a kid) may admit that at some point but not sure Ted would!
    If you look at the first one with the cables and sliding door wheels there is a definite resemblance!
    I'd like to play with that but would need exported lines as my highest Vectric software is VCP.
    Dave,
    Although I appreciate being able to make things that make me $$, it is as much of a reward to make things just for fun, as you suspected! I only wish I had more free time in my working day/week to do more things like this.

I can send you the .dxf file if you want, that should be able to be imported into VCP, no?

That would work fine.
    Thanks.