Thread: XBOX360 Controller Utilizing MACH3 Control Software On Shopbot PRT

Default XBOX360 Controller Utilizing MACH3 Control Software On Shopbot PRT

Here is a photo of a little sign my friend made for me. I helped convert his Shopbot Router to Mach3. A friend of mine helped me modify my 2010 Screen Set adding several useful macros. Used Lee's plugin and it works wonderful. Makes jogging around the table and setup a BREEZE!

20151227_131240a.jpg

John

I thought they were unreliable and eventually discouraged around here.

The experience i had with mine was after i set it up, it started to work fine. Then i set it down next to the transmitter plugged into the computer and you could see on the control screen it cycling thru the various buttons and processes in a loop without me touching anything. I unplugged it and put it in the drawer and it's been there ever since.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I had a bad experience with a wireless controller too.
    Unbeknownst to me, it goes into a sleep mode after so long and takes a while to wake back up once a button is pushed ... So I'm sitting there pressing buttons wondering why it isn't working then all the sudden my machine goes batshit crazy. Seems it logged all of the spurious commands it received, and when it woke up it executed them all. Last one told it to plow into the spoilboard and drag a foot along the Y. Before I could react and stop it it ruined my material and broke the bit.

Went into instant shop rage and threw the remote on the floor, I'm still finding pieces of it a year later. True, it was technically all my fault, but I decided the drawbacks of wireless outweigh the convenience and never tried it again. Props to those who find it useful, just be careful is all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Xray View Post
    I had a bad experience with a wireless controller too.
    Unbeknownst to me, it goes into a sleep mode after so long and takes a while to wake back up once a button is pushed ... So I'm sitting there pressing buttons wondering why it isn't working then all the sudden my machine goes batshit crazy. Seems it logged all of the spurious commands it received, and when it woke up it executed them all. Last one told it to plow into the spoilboard and drag a foot along the Y. Before I could react and stop it it ruined my material and broke the bit.

Went into instant shop rage and threw the remote on the floor, I'm still finding pieces of it a year later. True, it was technically all my fault, but I decided the drawbacks of wireless outweigh the convenience and never tried it again. Props to those who find it useful, just be careful is all I can say.
    I've had enough issues with this and similar lag issues with wireless controllers over the years, I just don't trust them on a running machine like the ShopBot. Sure they work great for some people, I just know with my luck I'd experience the same.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

I would never hook my Bot up to anything like that anymore. Tried the Logitech wireless usb in the beginning, yeah it was cool but not reliable. I have a 2001 PRT with a 4G board upgrade and am happy to say that after the last 6 months, no com errors. Machine has been acting right.

- Panasonic Toughbook factory refurbished from ebay with Win 7, cost me $350
    - SB 3.8. two months ago from SB website
    - Staples Brand powered USB hub in between SB Control and Toughbook.

I have had a few "hick ups" but not com errors and lost position as of yet. I cut only about 8 hrs a week but I like my odds so far. Much better than the old tower CPU I was trying to make work. Don't forget to shut the touch screen off in the settings. Touch screen no like the SB software......lol

I actually set a file running and left it overnight (finish cut with a .125 ballnose, no dust collection, not vac hold down, It worked). It was a last minute christmas gift for my grandfather, had no choice but all safety checks were in place.

Dave
    Last edited by David Iannone; 01-03-2016 at 02:39 AM.

Hi Guys,

Still using my wired XBOX controller on my Complete Electronic Retrofit of my Shopbot PRT Router and it works flawlessly, both hardware and software since 2012. Here is a link to show you the complete retrofit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WQ8KcTSKyQ&t=909s

The hardware and software retrofit was the best move I have made in a long time. Runs great on Windows 7 with Mach3 and my modified 2012 Screen set that is loaded with real open source macros.

John