Hi guys, Happy New Year!

I've been spending some TLC time lately going over & truing up my 2005 PRTalpha 48x96 after getting a skookum new digital Stabila 4' level (0.05 of a degree/4' or 0.1 mm/m accuracy).

I read a few times in here (mostly from Brady) that it's relatively easy to hand file the rails while performing regular maintenance. What I'd really like is some hardened steel ones, but there's just no room in my budget for that now (and being Canadian means that anything from the US is super-duper expensive).

What I'm after here is detailed instructions/pictures/drawings, etc... of how to dress the rails so that they are flat from end-to-end (just talking about the X rails here). I'm not talking about un-straight (bent or wavy from side-to-side) rails, or even shimming the rails, I'm referring to cleaning up the top/bevels of my X rails so that my YZ carriage runs perfectly straight from X,0 to X,96. My confusion comes from the fact that the v-rollers don't actually sit on top of the rails (the vertical height of the YZ carriage is affected by bevels on which the v-wheels rolls, not the top of the rails), so placing my fancy new level on top of my worn & undulating rails doesn't actually give me a true indication as to where I should be removing material, much less, how to remove material with a hand file accurately from a beveled rail surface.

I have checked the table surface (after resurfacing it) & it appears to be very close to flat, so I guess that's really all that's important, but I would like to know how you guys dress your rails when they get worn.

Cheers,
Daren