Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLOCK PROJECT/ tempus fidgit

Talking CLOCK PROJECT/ tempus fidgit

The clock design is from Clayton Boyer. Model Solaris. Designs are very affordable. Make sure you rework the dxf files to make sure they are round! Woods are Bubinga, Hard Maple, redwood burl, lacewood. I confess to being a "star" nut so any show about space etc...When I found the Stargate series, I watched it thru twice and so was inspired by my folly to make the 3d ring/face from the show...The weights are representative of the evil pyramid ships flying about and the symbols are all those from those bad little "gods" and their slaves....

My hat is off to all those who make these clocks by hand with just a fret saw and band saw....Even with my CNC it still took months of work to make...When, and I do say "when" it decides to run it does keep time but it IS a wooden clock and can be finicky which is why its name is Tempus Fidgit
    Attached Images Attached Images

All I can saw is wow! The attention to detail you put in is great do changes in humidity change accuracy?

I have bought some clock plans from Brian laws site but have still not made one and most likely will not anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by PVWoodworks View Post
    The clock design is from Clayton Boyer. Model Solaris. Designs are very affordable. Make sure you rework the dxf files to make sure they are round! Woods are Bubinga, Hard Maple, redwood burl, lacewood. I confess to being a "star" nut so any show about space etc...When I found the Stargate series, I watched it thru twice and so was inspired by my folly to make the 3d ring/face from the show...The weights are representative of the evil pyramid ships flying about and the symbols are all those from those bad little "gods" and their slaves....

My hat is off to all those who make these clocks by hand with just a fret saw and band saw....Even with my CNC it still took months of work to make...When, and I do say "when" it decides to run it does keep time but it IS a wooden clock and can be finicky which is why its name is Tempus Fidgit

Great show and great clock!
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

See that is the thing that i lack is patience to work on something like small parts and try to put something like that together. Good job.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

EXCELLENT job and Craftsmanship!!
    Attention to detail is great.
    You should be proud
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Beautiful clock and great craftsmanship.

Yes, even Claytons clocks stop sometimes due to humidty changes...I have Aspire4 and until I tried this did not know about bringing DXF in and making a simpler arc with less nodes...this is really necessary to do to clean up the arcs and lines etc....One adaption for smaller pieces of wood that get a lot of wear on these things is to use cutting board plastics available through Tap...The 15 spoke wheel would have disintegrated many times over if not from this material....stiff but just enough flex to absorb shock....If you go onto U-tube there are lots of guys showing how to cut the teeth with a band saw...Even with the CNC I had to use the bandsaw to clean up things...Thanks for the look.

WOW! I just happened to stumble across this post while reseaching fabrication of live-edge clocks. As it so happens, I was the head graphic designer/fabricator on Stargate SG-1, Atlantis and Universe as well as the two direct to video movies. After racking up an enormous outsourced cnc bill during the Atlantis pilot episode I decided to purchase my first Shopbot so we could do the work in-house. The Shopbot proved to be a huge success and a year later I added a 5x10' Shopbot to the arsenal. FYI...virtually every single visible surface and much of the support structure of the Starship Destiny on Stargate Universe was cut or shaped on the two Shopbots. The construction of those sets was an ongoing process with the two bots running just about full time over the course of two years. I'm still doing cnc for film and TV, after Stargate I worked the final three seasons of Psych and I'm currently on season two of The Flash. There's barely a week that goes by that doesn't require a bit of cnc. I can honestly say that purchasing my first Shopbot was the smartest career desision I ever made.
    Great work on the clock...Jaffa Kree! - Boyd
    www.stagecraftfilm.com

That means you are going to post a great STL stargate file right!!!!!!!!???????

I was very sad when Universe ended. So so much potential was left untapped!

Ha ha! Unfortunately I can't share files for that gate or the Atlantis gate. We sign ND agreements and I still work in the industry. Believe me, nobody was more disappointed in Universe being cancelled than us, it was the show we always wanted to make. Going in to interview for a new NBC sci-fi show today that looks promising...wish me luck!