Thread: 3D Last Supper Carve

Default 3D Last Supper Carve

I let my SB run unattended for the last roughly 7 hrs of the finish pass. I went home and slept. I was pleased to come in the next morning and see the Bot at 0,0 and my porter cable router still running at low rpm.

Trust me I took all safety precautions. No dust collection, no vac hold down.

It is not something I plan on doing again, but it was for my grandfather and it was right before I had to get on a plane to DE for our family Christmas visit. I actually carried it on the plane raw cnc carved wood. Then stained it in DE in my Dad's sheet metal shop right before I gave it to Poppop. He loved it, and it was still a little taky from the multiple clear coats I was giving it from a spray can.

The wood was a piece of scrap of 1.5" thick western red cedar I had from the corner of a sign I did years ago..

I bought the 3D art from https://www.vectorart3d.com/

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello David. That is a beautiful carving. It is exactly what I want to do very soon. Could you please tell me the size of your carving and approx. total roughing and finish toolpath times? Also did you resize the file after downloading? What are the dimensions of the download when imported into aspire? thanks in advance.

Tom V

Came out very nice, have done a few of those as well.

I leave my machine unattended all the time, the ability to make something while doing something else [whether it be sleeping, going to the store or taking the dog for a walk] in one of the prime attractions to an automated machine to me. Especially in the freezing cold, no way am I going to sit out hours on end babysitting a running machine.
    I know that some guys have had incidents of sucking in hot chips and starting a fire [happened to Jim Mcgrew if I recall correctly], but I won't let these isolated incidents keep me from taking full advantage of what the machine has to offer.

Turning off vac/dust is a good precaution, not that necessary on a finish pass anyhow where chips aren't flying. In fact, tough to see how anything else disastrous could happen while running unattended that wouldn't happen with you right there.
    Doug

I have left my machine unattended for hours while doing a 3d carving pass many times however i do have a camera set up to watch it and while i'm inside i have a small monitor by the tv t keep an eye on it. I have left it unattended at times and gone off but can log in to the camera to keep an eye out, but i don't do that often.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I have the file to cut the Last Supper but have never done so. That looks beautiful. Did you encounter a lot of warping in this carving?

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1296 View Post
    I have the file to cut the Last Supper but have never done so. That looks beautiful. Did you encounter a lot of warping in this carving?
    His depth of cut versus material left shows he had plenty of material left so i doubt he had any warping. However i did a blanket chest lid out of walnut and cut it way too deep leaving only about 1/4" material and when i unfastened it from the table it sprung into a pringles potato chip. a total waste. Depending on the size and depth of your carving i usually leave twice the amount of depth of cut for material on the bottom. That is not some magic rule, it's just what i do.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson