Thread: Running Aspire on a Mac

Hybrid View

Until I sold my PRS I had been running Aspire on an iMac with Parallels. I needed to buy a fresh version of Windows and found GreenForestSoftware.com and found their prices to be in the $90 range for a fresh copy of windows, as opposed to a lot more from other sources. It has been a flawless way to run Aspire, of course I ran the machine on a real Windows machine.
    Bob

Yep, do a search on google and you can find them well under $100.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_s View Post
    Until I sold my PRS I had been running Aspire on an iMac with Parallels. I needed to buy a fresh version of Windows and found GreenForestSoftware.com and found their prices to be in the $90 range for a fresh copy of windows, as opposed to a lot more from other sources. It has been a flawless way to run Aspire, of course I ran the machine on a real Windows machine.
    Bob
    Bob, thanks for the link. I see the $90 one is an OEM download. I'm no computer builder, and see that they recommend the retail version, $115, for dummies like me. How complicated was the install when you went to load it on your mac? Was it pretty straight forward, or should I pay the extra bucks for the retail version?

It was very straight forward The biggest issue was getting parallels to read the file on the Mac desktop, but that was just because I hadn't used a Mac in years and was trying to make it more difficult than it was. Parallels tech support was great and set me straight in a 3 minute phone call that I'm sure left them laughing

Quote Originally Posted by cdodds View Post
    Bob, thanks for the link. I see the $90 one is an OEM download. I'm no computer builder, and see that they recommend the retail version, $115, for dummies like me. How complicated was the install when you went to load it on your mac? Was it pretty straight forward, or should I pay the extra bucks for the retail version?
    No difference in installing the OEM version versus the retail version.

OEM is for Original Equipment Manufacturer version and is supposed to only be bundled with hardware. Some companies would sell OEM version along side a $2.00 mouse to follow the letter of the license, but Microsoft used to say you had to be buying a computer or major part (such as motherboard) but rarely enforced that rule.

Support used to be different in that Microsoft would not offer direct support to OEM copies, they'd direct you to hardware manufacturer, but if you had retail version you could get direct support from Microsoft. Not sure if this is still the case.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net