Thread: Z zero after bit change during inlay pocket

Default Z zero after bit change during inlay pocket

I wasn't sure if this was a Vectric question or not, but decided to start here. I don't do inlays very often, so I may have done something wrong.

I used the auto-inlay to create the female pocket for a small inlay using a 1/32" end mill with a 1/8" end mill for clearing. When the clearing toolpath was complete, the control software prompted me to raise the bit for a bit change, which I did. After changing to the 1/32" bit, I didn't want to use the zeroing plate on such a delicate bit, so while I was still manually controlling the height, I zeroed manually using a sheet of paper to detect contact with the workpiece. I then used the Zero Axes within the keypad dialog to zero Z. I hit ESC to continue to the next step, and instead of being asked if I wanted to Z zero, it went straight to "hit enter when above plate." I didn't want to do that, so I selected Quit. Well, that just aborted the rest of the cutting. I had to go create a separate file just to do the final cutting with the 1/32" bit. Where did I go wrong?

I'm running the most recent update of VCarve Pro 7.5.

In aspire and I assume it is that way for v carve pro. When making an inlay, you need two toolpaths using the same bit. First is usually the female part then you have to go back and do the male part where you can allow certain allowances to fit. I didn't get that is what you did from your message.

If you had a larger clearing bit and don't want to use the plate to zero (I never use the plate), then the best suggest I can make is to keep those two steps as separate files and execute them manually. That way the zeroing with the plate is not required. You could also edit the file yourself and remove that code but to me, having separate files is easy and foolproof.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Quote Originally Posted by bob_reda View Post
    In aspire and I assume it is that way for v carve pro. When making an inlay, you need two toolpaths using the same bit. First is usually the female part then you have to go back and do the male part where you can allow certain allowances to fit. I didn't get that is what you did from your message.
    I was just describing what I observed when cutting the the female part. I had no issue when cutting the male part of the inlay. The issue wasn't a matter of fit. It was about the unexpected lack of a prompt after a tool change between toolpaths.

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    If you had a larger clearing bit and don't want to use the plate to zero (I never use the plate), then the best suggest I can make is to keep those two steps as separate files and execute them manually. That way the zeroing with the plate is not required. You could also edit the file yourself and remove that code but to me, having separate files is easy and foolproof.
    I could have sworn that in the past when there was a tool change between toolpaths, that I received a prompt asking me if I wanted to Z-zero with the plate. Or perhaps it was a prompt asking me if Z was zeroed, and by replying "yes" allowed me to bypass the plate zeroing. I did not get that prompt this time, and that surprised me.