Thread: Shop Layout

Default Shop Layout

Alright, our 6'x8' ShopBot has been ordered and I am now occupying my free time with all things ShopBot. The biggest consideration right now is our shop layout.

Attached are two images of what I think are the most likely options. One has my main table in line with the bot table and the other has them side by side.

The floor grid is 1'x1' to aid in spacing. We use mostly 4'x6' foam sheets and 5'x5' baltic birch which are both colored transparent yellow in the layouts. Also, the tablesaw, drill press, and bandsaw are all on mobile bases. Any advice/input from you all would be much appreciated.

In Line:
    Shop Layout-6x8_Linear.jpg

Side by Side:
    Shop Layout-6x8_SideBySide.jpg

Picture 1 seems best layout to me. You pull material from source piles and slide onto ShopBot. With layout 2 you've got to lift up over rails, and if the Y axis could be in the way depending on where you stopped it last. Layout 1 it just slides onto table,a and when done, slides over onto the workbench table.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Layout 1 would enable you to put that large workbench on wheels. When you cut sheets of plywood on the CNC, roll the table up to the CNC, push the plywood off the CNC onto the table and load up a new sheet for cutting. Faster throughtput if that is an consideration.

I take it one step further and cut all my plywood on 1/8" sheets of MDF as a sacrificial board. It cut into that and not into the CNC table spoilboard. I only surface my spoilboard to flatten it. Never have to cleanup cutting marks. Spoilboard lasts me about 18 months before I have to replace it.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

You might consider that the back of the table can be quite close to the wall. Rarely will you ever have to get to the back of the table so it's a waste of space to leave a lot of room behind it. I have just enough space to squeeze by sideways behind mine and in three plus years, I have yet to do it. I think I have about 10 inches from the back table rail to the wall. It's pretty tight in the back right where the snakey wire thingy is located. Still, no issues there. I also suggest leaving enough room in front of the loading side (my left) for an 8' sheet. It's tough to lift one over the machine but easy to slide it into it.

Another thing to consider is the placement of the control box and vacuum pump (if you're going to use one). You can put it in several places and on the front, left or right. Once you have your machine you can decide what's the most appropriate place. You'll also need a place for your control computer with a display and keyboard. That takes up a bunch of room. Don't forget a UPS for the computer. Very important.

I think you're going to have some fun but don't let the frustration get you down. After you've broken a few dozen bits you'll be getting the hang of it. I just broke one two days ago from a stupid programming error. Luckily it was a cheap 1/8" bit. I saw it about to happen and just couldn't hit the stop button quick enough. I suggest you get some extra bits now. You're going to need them. Extra collets and collet nuts are useful too.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I like setup #1. I also have a roll around work table (with wheel brakes). My shop is a little wider than yours so my table saw is along side the work table. I also have a heavy duty cart for moving sheets from my trailer into the shop. I am a one man shop so I need to be able move stuff around by myself. That is also why I have the extra big table around my table saw. Russ

AKA: Da Train Guy

Number one, straight line in and out. Russ you and Andrew have the cleanest shops I wish I could discipline myself to be like that, the slob gene runs strong in me.

Thanks for your excellent feedback. Consensus seems clear for layout 1.
    Second question, Is there a preference for power coming from the wall or overhead?

power coming from the wall or overhead When I first set my shop up I had nothing but wall outlets so lots of cords on the floor, BAD PLAN! Cords are dangerous tripping hazards. I am slowly converting to hanging 4 plex boxes.

have the cleanest shops You really need to see the date of that photo! I try and keep it that way BUT . . . . The biggest issue is the smaller pieces and sawdust that make the floor slippery or again tripping hazards. I have two roll around cutoff bins for most of the little stuff and a killer dust collector that includes two floor sweeps, they really make much less of a chore. Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

If you have the chance to put the power in the floor that is what I would do

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    If you have the chance to put the power in the floor that is what I would do
    Yeah, I wish. We're renting our shop space, so I think a jackhammer is beyond the scope of tenant improvement.

I think we'll go the wall outlet route, just seems like it's going to work better for us the more I think about it.