Thread: Indexer Mounting

Question Indexer Mounting

So, I'm getting all ready to try out the indexer, and I have it mounted on the PRS-Alpha running parallel to the X-Axis all the way on the far side of the table.

I thought I would have enough clearance, but I don't even have enough room for the spindle w/bit to clear a 3" diameter column of material. The job that I was trying to set this indexer up for--we need to cut an 8" diameter column! No dice in this configuration, unfortunately.

Looking over the table, it seems there's no good way to mount the indexer to accommodate such a job. We have an ATC at the back of SB, so that spot, (running the indexer Y-parallel), isn't really an option. Mounting on the far side rail, similar to how it's set up in SB's production facility, doesn't seem like an option either, as our spoilboard on that side would be in the way.

I can provide pictures of our set up, to give folks a better idea of what we're working with here, but I'm kinda at a loss. I really don't think we are going to be capable of doing this 8" column on this machine, unless we can come up with a really creative mounting solution for the indexer.

Any ideas? How did you guys find the optimum spot to mount your indexer?

Thanks in advance!

post some pictures, then we can see better what we're working with. Maybe also some pics with a measuring tape to show distances. I may have some ideas.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

You won't get an 8" column down the X unless you have a 12" Z setup. This means and extra set of table sides (drops table 6") and a 14" Z, plus either the 12" Z leg set or drilling holes for the extra table sides.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Send a PM to me. Maybe I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by kubotaman View Post
    Send a PM to me. Maybe I can help.
    You've exceeded your inbox storage for PMs...lol
    Here's what I was going to send you...
    Hey man, We've slowed down a little bit at the shop and I'm revisiting mounting the indexer, as well as incorporating some aluminum t-track for hold downs into the table. I'd love to see some pictures of your setup. You can send them to ryan(at)glazingmanagement.com. At your convenience, of course. I'm in no hurry.

Because we only have one set of side rails, I don't think the side mount is an option. I'm looking at removing the spoilboards all the way to the blue steel frame, and mounting some .5" 8020 t-tracks that I can then mount the indexer aluminum plates too. That will give me the most clearance, Clarence...
    PRS Alpha 96" x 60"