Thread: Motors frozen! Help!

Default Motors frozen! Help!

Hi All, I have a pickle here.

I'm on a PRT Alpha 5x10. Right now everything powers on things seem to be communicating properly. However, I can't get anything to move. In Keypad mode, the motors make noise but do not move along the racks.

This is what happened:

1. I zeroed my tool and went to run a file, essentially a bunch of small holes in 1/16" material. I confirmed Z-zero was accurate. Ran file.

2. The tool moved up about 2 inches (way more than set clearance) and proceeded to start following the path with a clearly incorrect Z-zero, which was an inch or two above the material.

3. I hit clicked stop in the software window. This is a notoriously buggy operation for my machine, sometimes needing me to reset drivers.

4. Instead of stopping, the motors made some heavy-working noises, and the whole Z-arm and assembly JUMPED (and I mean jumped... it was waaaay over my set max jog speed), a violent lurch about 8 inches along the Y axis. The spindle kept going for about 10 seconds then stopped, the software recognized an error, and shut down.

Now, the motors don't move. They respond with a humming noise when I press a move button in keypad mode. But no movement.

HELP

SOLVED.

One of the two power supplies-- a 30A 220, had tripped a breaker. The other 20A 120 was OK. Enough to run everything except the steppers.

SHEESH. Does anybody else find stopping a part in progress to be extremely buggy?