Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving cut path efficiency of texture on curved surface?

Default Improving cut path efficiency of texture on curved surface?

I apologize if the title is a bit convoluted.

I'm attempting to carve a ripple texture into a curved object, as illustrated in the linked image.

http://i.imgur.com/0VRCttx.jpg

The texture is created in such a way that a 0.5in ballnose end mill can mill the ripple perfectly, but despite experimenting with a variety of toolpath settings in Vcarve Pro, I can't seem to figure out how to make the toolpath simply follow the ripples so as to cut in the fastest and cleanest way possible.

Is this possible in Vcarve Pro? My research suggested it may only be possible by using Aspire and projecting the toolpaths onto the surface.

I don't have access to Aspire right now so I was hoping that there was another way. Can I create a series of 3d curves and import them as toolpaths?

Thanks!

Aaron, Can you show a screengrab of the surface before the Ballnose cut?
    Is it an.stl or such?
    Just thinking a Profile On Line cut with a "project onto 3D toolpath" box checked may work after you've hogged out the profile curve of the tops of the "ridges".
    To reduce air time maybe alternate Start Points in Node Edit for the first pair/Group/ and THEN linear array?
    Apologize if I'm off base, but been up since 2 and my eyes may be playing tricks with your image.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

There are two ways and they are both vector based. So you have to draw the control vectors first.

One way is to draw a line that is where you want the low points to be and then just cut along the vector. This design can be done quickly just by drawing a couple of arcs correctly and arraying them the right length with no space between, and then joining the resulting line, then arraying it to create the spacing.

The other way is to create a pair of them .5 apart, close the ends with a 1/2 circle, array that and then use the v-carve toolpath tool.

Either way, make sure your cutting area is longer and wider than the actual piece so you can run off the edges instead of having ends where it lifts out of your piece before the ends.

There are other ways to create the vectors that can result in other wave looks. Vector based textures cut a lot faster than reliefs!

Wrote a whole edit based on seeing the dish shape of the object after I posted but lost it to late editing! First post wouldn't give enough info.

The fluting tool will give you this. Draw your vectors and create a flute path for them. The ramping part is where you will control the depth over the whole part.

Two types of flutes, one with an end mill to define the flat tops and then the ball nose.

Dave, Are you seeing as a simple dish shape? Or the 3D rippled?
    Thought about Fluting, but thought it was rippled,
    Fluting would be easy.
    You thinking BIG EM (1.25"+bit with a fluting toolpath) for the shape and then going into it with the half inch BN?
    Again I may be assuming shape, 16 hr and then 2 with Dad.
    I LIKE the hooking for a Profile cut so it doesn't change direction.
    Cain't tell I'm a Youngsta eh?
    scott
    Listen to Dave!
    scott P.
    Maine

I was thinking about something like that (and the part does look to me like a simple concave in x) but on overnight thought realized a ramping down and up flute would result in a shallow V dish and not curved. I think you need more robust software to do this with vectors. You use v-carve pro more than me. Can you paste ("bake") vectors onto a curve in VCP?

ace...
    With a little experimenting you should be able to recreate the wave pattern shown by using the "Create Vector Texture" tool. It will create the uniform repeating vectors you need to replicate your attached pattern. Preview with a toolpath "On" vector using proper sized ballnose. More info in the "Vector Textures" Tutorial and on Pg 63 of the reference manual
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Dave,
    I was thinking extending the line off the workpiece 1/2Radius and using start depth setting and max depth to make it uniform. To tell the truth it's making me dizzy
    We can machine ON a 3D surface we've bought and mod it quite a bit, but can't create.
    Think I like Gary's idea, But ZIP texture experience.
    Out of my depth I think, so I'll shut up
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

Apparently the VCarve Pro edition I have (7.5 included with a machine purchase from another manufacturer)
    is a "bare bones" edition and doesn't have many of the features as shown in Pro on the Vectric site. These missing bits include anything relating to 3d including the import 3-d clipart ability, the entire modeling tab, as well as some tools including the create vector texture and any 3d toolpath creation. So although the title head calls it Vcarve Pro it really seems to be more Cut 2D.
    After viewing tutorials and doc Gary mentioned I think it may be doable but still don't see how to do the dish shape unless you have it modeled to import.
    Last edited by bleeth; 02-04-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Yup, VCP8 was a MAJOR upgrade and the models are worth the upgrade price alone, never mind that we can mod and manipulate the 3D AND the toolpaths!
    WELL worth the upgrade Dave!!
    scott P.
    Maine