Thread: First Project

Default First Project

Hello Guys
    I am going to pick my buddy next week and I pretty sure that I will be excited to start to cut my first project.
    I would like to hear from you that have much more experience than me.
    What should I do for my first project?
    How should I start?
    Is there some easy guide step by spep?
    Any help is welcome

Hi,

I would have some scrap material and extra bits on hand.

It would be good to learn the software so that you know how to stop a file, zero the x y and z, load a file, and change the cut speeds as the file is cutting.

Also an important part of cutting your first project is how you will hold the material in place. The dust collection system is a good thing to have as well.

Also good to know the feed rates of the materials and thicknesses as well as the router speeds...

As far as what to cut for the first project, that would depend on why you bought the buddy, what your design/toolpath skills are, and what your woodworking skills are.

Good luck and congrats!

RIB

Pick up some of that pink or blue insulation foam board. It's a good practice material to start out on.

I was wondering if I could find some files ready to cut and not so complex, with the correct tools and with the correct feed speed.
    I thought that in some point I had seen some projects on this blog, like a staition work to put the computer beside the Buddy

the software comes with a few tutorials. I would recomend going through them step by step if you are unfamilar with CNC.

You may be thinking of www.shopbotprojectwizard.com

Have you received your design software (PartWorks) ? If not you can download a trail version of V Carve Pro. It is the same software as PW. The difference being PW will only generate code for ShopBots. The trail version will let you play with the program. You just can’’t save toolpaths. Here are video’’s you can watch on how to work with the software. http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr..._tutorials.htm
    As far as first projects go I ran the ShopBot logo. Once your friends and family see what a ShopBot can do. You will have more projects than time
    Dan

The Buddy comes with several projects all ready to go I think the disk is called "Get Carving Quickly". There is an installation and instruction manual also for the machine and operating system for the shopbot controls. Just take your time and read everything first and take a step by step approach and you will be cutting something good in no time. Just remember how big your table is and be careful with your move commands, that is, don't ask it to do something outside it's range. Don't ask me how I know. Good luck with your new machine, joe

Thank y'll for all advices
    I guess that now I have couple options to begin with.
    I wish I could start right now,but unfortunatly I will need to wait one more week.
    I hope have something pretty soon to show you.