Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for other shopbot educators

I was lucky when I stumbled across that website after endless searches for an updated Jointer safety test. Thought it was worth sharing. I too, treat the Shopbot as an specialized router when it comes to safety.

I teach CADD (Rhino 3D and Chief Architect), Woodworking, and Computer Repair & Networking for high school students. We started in 1994 with one of the original cable driven Shopbot CNC machines. Since then it has gone through many upgrades. Last school year we added a new steel table and 4G upgrade, but still use the original utility struts for the x & y rails and screen door roller bearings. That will be the next upgrade if I can ever figure out the best way to accomplish it.

The great thing about both CADD and Woodworking is that the ShopBot integrates very smoothly into both subjects and the majority of the students love it.

What class do you teach Wendell?

I taught an Eng Tech class in Ohio forever and recently moved to Atlanta. We were lucky and had start up money to buy a table top Alpha. I sometimes miss my big machine but I have an older PRT in my garage.
    Our boss (a marketing teacher) suddenly decided that we all need to compare safety curriculum.
    I use a service called Quia to do electonic testing. I costs $50 a year but I don't grade and the service stores the results.
    Take a look.
    http://www.quia.com/pages/fcsssafety.html

Thanks again.

I teach at a CTE school in Maine. We have used the shopbot for physics, boatbuilding, carpentry, engineering and robotics.

I created a list that involved machine safety and set up and once students can pass the test they can use the machine for any of thier classes. It works really well.

We did have one problem with students who were traveling through the shop getting close to the machine and not knowing how dangerous it could be so we built a room around it and closed it off - now we can let it run without worrying about a kid walking buy and getting hurt.

Bill
    www.RocketfuelSigns.com
    formerly procarve cnc

Mr. Thomas,
    Would you be willing to share your machine safety files? The site is cool by the way.

Sure Ben - I have a PDF of the test. Basically a student has to pass the software section by designing two files according to specifications and then machine the project according to the checklist. I watch them run the machine and they can't get anything wrong.

Once they do that, they are free to use the machine during the year for thier projects.

Bill
    www.RocketfuelSigns.com
    formerly procarve cnc
    MCST Shopbot Certification Test
    shopbot certification test.pdf (21.5 k)

Fantastic! Thanks for posting that.