Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speak now, or

Default Speak now, or

My youngest daughter is getting married in August, and her girlfriend and her have asked me to make them a reception bench for the guests to sign. I am making the bench out of red oak, and am openly seeking advise asto the finishing and what to use for the writing so as not to have bleed through. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Pete M

Pete, I find red oak to be a second class wood for engraving. If I had a project like yours I would get some ash for a similar bold grain pattern but a nicer finish in all regards.

I'd recommend a closed grain wood like maple instead of red oak. Red oak is tough to get a nice finish on unless you have quarter sawn boards. The grain can be loose, jagged and deep. It can develop cracks and warp a lot when finishing due to the way it really absorbs a lot of liquid. Try cutting a thin slice of end grain, hold it up to the light and you'll be able to see right through it. Try that with maple or another closed grain wood. Engraving really only works if you pre-finish the wood. Otherwise, it can be a mess of fuzz and chipout. I love red oak for its character. It's a lovely wood but it is a problem to get it to come out nice. If you have any time constraints, I'd stick with something else.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I really like ash, as well as maple. When I went to my wood supplier, the quartered red oak spoke to me. Go figure. I used the V-inlay technique with some Purple Heart. All the parts are made, but not assembled yet.

I think it would be great if they sign their names on paper, you scan their signatures and carve them into the bench before you apply the finishes....

I by no means am good at finishes but i would think you would want to leave the bench unfinished, let everyone sign it, then finish it with a polyurethane or epoxy??
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I didn't realize you were that far along already Pete. You haven't stated how they are signing it but if they are going to use a sharpee I would finish with spar varnish, have the guests sign it, and then finish with spar again. Keep the bench inside or at least in permanent shade because neither sharpee or spar will last long in direct sunlight.

I used white oak on a outdoor sitting bench and it carves very nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

My main concern is bleed through. I am leaning towards finish / sign / finish. Would a sharpie bleed through spar varnish or urethane? Is there a better choice for writing? Whatever the case I will test on a sample first.

Never tried it but maybe you should experiment with a Drafting pen. I think the chemicals in Sharpie may react with new added top coats.
    Sounds like Bob has specific experience though.

Second on posting pics.