Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new Z zero device

So supposing you took the current "new" design and put threads on the bottom and a female threaded base that you attached to your table. A simple jig would allow you to raise or lower it to match your spoilboard surface as you cleaned it.

"Home made" versions of this have been made for years but without the soft pad sensor for protecting fine bits from a bolt and some nuts and washers.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    So supposing you took the current "new" design and put threads on the bottom and a female threaded base that you attached to your table. A simple jig would allow you to raise or lower it to match your spoilboard surface as you cleaned it.

"Home made" versions of this have been made for years but without the soft pad sensor for protecting fine bits from a bolt and some nuts and washers.
    The thing I think most are overlooking is the fact this device doesn't need to be hooked up via a second wire to the bit. And a lot of people claim to have issues Z-zeroing due to that problem.

If I understand it correctly, it just replaces the aluminum plate, with no other wire required. And uses a different program/routine or whatever it's called.

I thought it might be interesting to the guys having issues.

I didn't overlook it. I work off an older plate with no clip. That was introduced much later.
    I forget why but a lot of guys with larger machines don't use it or need to. I think it has to do with how well or not you are grounded.

Not you specifically - but I thought (when I saw it on the blog) there would be more people who would appreciate the fact that it doesnt need the electrical path through the bit.

Just look how many threads (one is going on currently) about this have been started in the past several years.

Personally, I have my alligator clip on the back of my Z carriage, and never check if it is making contact or not. I use my machine a fair bit and have not had any issues with the zero routine.

But, one less thing to potentially go wrong (clip coming off, making poor contact, or for those forgetting to use it) might be worth the $150 if it saves you a few broken bits.

Spindles don't ground directly through the shaft of the motor like routers sometimes can. The clip is required for spindle equipped machines.

Another place the existing plate doesn't work (at least on my machine) is when cutting metal on top of a metal table. I have an area on one side of my machine that's made from 8020 extrusions. If I'm cutting aluminum and using the extrusion part of the table, the plate is grounded and I need to put some sort of insulator between the plate and the material or it just shorts (grounds?) out.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

May be required John, but luckily for Desktoppers that doesn't mean you ever have to touch it
    2 Desktops 4+ years and never even used it on a bit or collet
    Good thing for lazy people like me.
    Always check for the input 1 light Every time though.
    Thanks for the folks that gave me the tip....probably saved me a week in 2 years.
    I know what you meant though, and just ran across that second issue on the second Desktop which is bare extrusions at the moment.
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

It's actually the other way around, with a spindle you don't need it and a router you do, or should, due to wearing of brushes and possible positioning of the brushes themselves.

I've used both router and spindle for 15+ years and have never needed the clip and have never damaged a tool either. I've not always checked to see if input 1 lights up, but due to some other unrelated issues, I have modified my z zero file so that it won't proceed to touch the plate until after I touch the plate to the tool and connection is verified.
    Scott

I have the HST 4hp spindle and it doesn't ground. no clip, no worky. I can't vouch for any other installation type though.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Mine is a 4hp HSD also. I'd try backtracking to see where it gets lost/insulated. Perhaps you have ceramic bearings?
    Scott

This little gadget looks interesting. Unfortunately I use a 2.5" fly cutter to surface my spoilboard and the pad is recessed in a 2" opening. No good for me.... oh well!
    PRS Alpha 96-60
    HSD 4hp Quick change spindle, HSK toolholders
    Air Drill
    6 zone vacuum table