Thread: ArtCAM and Shopbot

Default ArtCAM and Shopbot

Are there any problems using ArtCAM on a Shopbot?
    ArtCAM is not as costly as Aspire!

Either will work just fine. These are design and tool pathing programs and each will output the proper code to many makes of CNC. I get the impression that you may be new to CNC. Artcam is product of Delcam and Aspire is a product of Vectric. ShopBots usually come with a full featured version of Vectric's V-Carve Pro. A lot of people with the current version of V-Carve Pro are satisfied and have no intention of upgrading to Aspire or ArtCam. I would study the respective websites including ShopBots and you may find that you don't have to buy any software...joe

Quote Originally Posted by oldnovice View Post
    Are there any problems using ArtCAM on a Shopbot?
    ArtCAM is not as costly as Aspire!
    If you check comparable versions eg. Art-Cam pro vs Aspire you will see that Aspire is much less expensive. Aspire is $2000.00 and there are no annual fees or dongles. On the other hand Art-Cam Pro is $7500 plus annual support fees in excess of $1000 per year.

Both companies make trial downloads available.That way you can kick the tires on each one before you decide.
    - Randall Newcomb
    10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
    another good day in the shop

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

Steve, you need to check your facts before quoting versions and pricing.
    Artcam Insignia is the comparable version to Aspire, it is $2500 and comes in dongle or dongle free versions. Dongle versions allows you to load it on as many computers as you like.
    what you call annual support is actually an optional maintenance you can take. Maintenance for Insignia is $450 which includes new releases/upgrades/unlimited support by trained personnel in person by phone plus other mediums.
    OldNovice
    As you stated ArtCam is not as expensive as Aspire then you must have been referring to the entry level ArtCam Express, which is upgradable.
    As Randall stated you should try all software versions including others not listed here. You should go with the software that you find more comfortable working in, not what others try to push you too, you should also be comfortable with the support offered that it suits your needs.
    Most major software has post processors for Shopbot as well as most are user or support configurable depending on your needs
    Gary
    Beckwith Decor Products
    Caveco Distributor, USA
    Custom CNC Tooling/Onsrud Distributor

Thanks for all the responses.
    Yes, I am a new comer to CNC even though I have had my Shopbot for quite some time.
    I am looking at additional software as I have done everything I have wanted to do with PartWorks.
    I watched a some ArtCAM videos using ArtCAM Express and I thought for the price of $150 it was more capable than PartWorks.
    At this time I am fairly positive that I will save my coins and buy Aspire foe the simple reason that I am familiar with the interface.

Hans,
    Just a thought, but if you're still using Partworks, perhaps consider an upgrade from Shopbot to VCP8?
    It's a totally different animal than even VCP7.5 as far as 3D, and would be a whole lot cheaper.
    Maybe call Shopbot on upgrade price also.
    Perhaps try a free download of each and compare?
    http://www.vectric.com/downloads/trial-software.html
    Might be worth it just for the 3D library included.
    Just a thought.
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I second what Scott has said. PartWorks is ShopBot's earlier version of V-Carve Pro and I believe you can upgrade to Version 8. I would frequent the Vectric website and forum and get the scoop on your options. By the way, did you get a copy of Cut 3D with your machine? I've never used it, but it is a toolpathing program for 3D files that you can run on your machine...joe