Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Skirt and Dust Collection

Default Dust Skirt and Dust Collection

I did afew upgrades to my ShopBot PRS alpha 60/120 with tool changer about 2 years ago. We did mostly signs but now we are doing a lot of plywood cutting. My dustcollector is not sucking up the dust from the new dust skirt. I am trying to figureout what the problem is. Is it the new dust skirt, do I need to run a largerpipe, or a straight pipe. I have 4” flex pipe right now running about 20’ to a 2 hp gizzly . Note that it did work ok before with that old dust skirt but there was a problem with getting it to open and close you can see the old dust skirt in action by going to the link below.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxqoEHQAiwY
    Here are a few photo of the new dust skirt they installed

Looking for any help at this time.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

When I'm cutting lots of plywood, long strings of plywood get sucked into the piping and eventually clog the intake to the dust collector or get lodged in the hose somewhere causing a blockage. If you have a grounding wire in the hose, this too can cause those longs strings to get hung up and cause a clog.

My flex hose hangs from the ceiling with ropes, so when there is a clog in the hose, I can lower it down and get the clog out.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

We did check clogs. I removed the pipe and cleaned it out but it did not help.

Thanks

When I have this problem it is usually because I have one of the blast gates open that goes to the other machines. I also have the 'birds nest' problem with long cuts in plywood.

What CFM is your dust collector? Is the exhaust filter clean on the DC?

Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Do you have a really good dust collector cyclone pre filter? I agree with Russ, if DC is running OK, then your filter is probably clogged up. When I turn my DC on (Jet DC 1100) it pulls the horse hair on the dust shoe up into the cutting tool. This is the one I use http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclone-Sepa...-/281067825681 ...joe

I'm using about 40' of 4" hose into a 2hp Grizzly dust collector. Works well for me.

Is the dust being released into the air or is it collecting on the surface of the work piece? If the dust is being released into the air, the skirt may not be dense enough. If the dust is collecting on the surface, the dust collector skirt may be too dense and not allow enough airflow to carry the dust to the collector.

Depending on the type of DC bag you use, you might want to take it outside and clean it with an air gun.

Paul Z

This DC has a CFM of 1550. The ShopBot is the only thing that is connected to this DC. There are no blast gates. Russ the filter is a bag I gave a new one I will put on tomorrow and after talking with Grizzly I will also check the hose from the motor to the dust bag. Will let you know if this helps.

Attached Images Attached Images

You probably have a clog as noted. where it goes into the unit is a choke point.

That's pretty much the same collector that I have. Did you take the "Y" off and check the grate behind it? I have had clogs form there.

Paul Z

That's the same DC I have. One thing to look at it how much clearance between the material you are cutting and the bottom of the skirt of dust shroud. If the dust shroud is touching the material, there is now air flow. I keep my shroud about 1/2" above the surface of the material when cutting at full depth. This ensures that you don't air starve the DC.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.