Thread: end grain cutting board with end grain inlay.

Default end grain cutting board with end grain inlay.

I have been waning to try this for a long time. I had some free time and some scrap so I went for it. it is a lot of time as you end up making 4 cutting boards two flat grain then cut it up and glue it up to make them end grain. the inlay with a thinner board about 1" a cutting board from Ikea that I cut up and regulated. I wanted more contrast but I did not have any more scraps. I used a 7 degree tapered endmill to make the inlay parts and they are 3/4" thick. I used the machine to flatten the boards then remove the excess inlay. but man I have a friend who makes a living making cutting boards and he is wise and pays the big guys to sand all the faces with a wide belt sander/planer. way too much effort to sand it if I wanted to make any money.

Very nice Steve!!

I can't wait for a few days I can do some "playing" with my CNC. It seems to be cutting something for a customer or I'm working elsewhere in the shop and can't play with the CNC.

I use my wide drum sander but have to be careful I don't burn the paper with the end grain. I use my oscillating edge sander to do the edges. Makes for shorter, and easier, work.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

yes I glued this all up while the machine was busy. I never have anything to do while the machine is running. so I only needed to flatten it then inlay it on the machine.
    I borrowed a rotel sander to take care of it but if I do more I will have my buddy who makes cutting boards for a living take it to the big guys to sand.

They look very nice my cutoff scraps are piling up I make boards with them though not as nice as those.

Nice work Steve.

it is not that hard just lost of work. easier then fancy patterns. now I need to abuse it to see how it holds up.

How does end grain machine? Haven't tried it yet, but am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by KLWestfall View Post
    How does end grain machine? Haven't tried it yet, but am curious.
    I process end grain from time to time..

With sharp tools it machines well. No different really than face or edge grain. I even dress slabs through my 20" planer with carbide knives.

Wide belt sander is definitely the way to go regarding sanding.

Nice inlays on those boards , I've got to try that soon. I've done a few end grain boards , with sacrificial ends glued on I have run them through my planer but prefer the drum sander , 80 grit will take them down level pretty quick . End grain machines pretty good with sharp bits as has been already said , I usually machine in finger holds on board ends and get pretty clean results .

machining is easy but sanding sucks. I borrowed a friends rotel sander but it was still a lot of work. and all the sanding in the world goes away after the board gets wet a few times.