Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another spindle won't start

Well, I knew I was missing something. I never turned on the breaker for the VFD. Had power to the spindle because fan was turning so it never occurred to me that there was not full power. Just happened to check while waiting on return call from shopbot. While talking to shopbot, can't remember his name, he said they had a meeting and he would send special instructions to warm up a spindle that has been setting for a long time. It is after hours there now so it will probably be tomorrow before I hear from them.

Thanks for all your help and maybe will have it sorted tomorrow. Will let you know.

Good to hear!

While there's a warm up routine in the software for everyday use, if it's been sitting for a long time and maybe on it's side too, if it spins freely, you could try this.

Start the spindle at 20% of its max speed and run for 30-60 minutes. Then increase speed by 10% and run for 30-60 minutes at a time until you reach the max speed. This procedure should properly spread the grease inside the bearings.
    Scott

Thanks Scott, been trying to find the lowest RPM but was not able to find. Max is 18000 so 20% should be 3600 RPM. That sound like a reasonable starting place. The VFD had 15.0 on display and the pop-up in the SB3 said 15000 so I assume I would make the display read 3.60. If that is correct, will do that tomorrow and spend the day warming up. Thanks again Scott and Steve for your help.

The low might be 4000. I do run mine at 4000 for some drilling now and then. Yup, 15.0 is 15000.
    Scott

Thanks, will try it in the morning.

I use 3k drilling with a 1/16" bit to keep it cool.

We have lift off!!! Started at 2.2 and took it down to 1. Let it spin until it shut off. Restarted at 1 and let it go until it shut off again. It's like the keypad is timing out. Managed to get it to 3.0 before lunch. Will start at 3 again after lunch. It sounds good and can only hear it running at 3.0. The fan and VFD make more noise so far. Does anyone know how to avoid the keypad from timing out?

Just checked and the keyboard timing out has to do with the RPM. Spindle was still running after lunch @ 3.0. Cranked it to 4.0. Seems lower than 3.0 something times out @ 15 - 20 minutes. Still sounding great!

Yeah, the keypad times out after so long with no activity. If you toggle on output 1 and then click the keypad (K), at the message to start the spindle, just start it, but don't OK it. Just leave it at the message. Sounds like you're good to go though, just use the standard warm-up routine and make some chips.
    Scott

Thanks Scott. Wanted to get it going before Austin Camp. I think I will run another very conservative warm-up this afternoon and tomorrow will use the standard warm-up.