Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faceted Box

Thanks G.
    Glad it wasn't me...I would have messed up the first one, and it would have gone downhill from there with the incremental "Creep"
    2 seconds!
    It's hard enough for me to get VInlays clamped in 10 seconds
    More patience and a steadier hand than me.
    Don't see any CA shiny spots...So GOOD work!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott, there was CA glue splattered all over the place but it does not matter. The inside is completely machined and the outside carefully sanded, removing all CA residue.

One more picture....finishing touch, got to get the lid off somehow.
    Knob 22mm diameter made on the indexer (3d model from GrabCAD.com, CAM with DeskProto)

It looks like a optical illusion just as it is. Beautiful wood, beautiful finish. I'd almost want to leave the knob off to confuse people as to how to open it...great job
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Gert, have you come across CA wicking? We run classes for over 60's putting little boxes together made of 1/2" square cypress pine. The bits are held in a simple jig using similar clamps to the sandpit ones. They put drops of CA glue on all corners. Wait 10 minutes then put a few more drops on the outside. The glue wicks right through and will never break. Sorry the pic is down under!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Bob's question has me wondering which viscosity CA you used G. ?
    Is that top a romping triconawhatsit also?
    Bob, I take it you're using a thin CA...Have you ever dissected a piece to see how far the wicking penetration goes?
    Nice machining on the top G. !
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    a couple ways to glue it that may be easier either use the ca coat each end and let harden then put it together and use a bead of glue that will soak in. or use epoxy and blue tape the blue tape works like a hinge.
    More things to try for the next project. Actually I did use the blue tape as hinge for the first 3 faces while I could still set the edge on a flat surface. After that it did not help anymore because the tape is a bit flexible and does not prevent the edges from going out of parallel. One other thing I may try is gluing the cut-out facets with wallpaper paste on a thin piece of fabric. All of these faceted bodies can be "unwrapped" and this may help keeping positions while using regular PVA glue for the wood joints. The wallpaper glue should go off with a little water and/or steam.

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Bob's question has me wondering which viscosity CA you used G. ?
    Is that top a romping triconawhatsit also?...
    I used medium viscosity. That is just thick enough to not run while joining the surfaces. And yes, it is the same rhombic 30-facet body. Grabcad had it available for download. Maybe you can do some 3D buttons that way ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eustace View Post
    Gert, have you come across CA wicking? We run classes for over 60's putting little boxes together made of 1/2" square cypress pine. The bits are held in a simple jig using similar clamps to the sandpit ones. They put drops of CA glue on all corners. Wait 10 minutes then put a few more drops on the outside. The glue wicks right through and will never break. Sorry the pic is down under!
    That would be a good experiment. However, the bowl part is made of 20 such facets I just don't know how to hold them all together in a stable position at the given odd angles (except maybe the above mentioned fabric method). For that reason I did them one by one.

Ah...Rhombic whatsamawhosit.
    No thanks...I'll leave math stuff to you G.
    Still busy lying to my machine about my engraving bits at 25-99% stepover and doing "Teenys".
    Sorry for jacking to post pics from Saturdays demo and a trial cut yesterday
    Notice the moose lost his eyes yesterday at 99% (need to buy some .005"flat 30's)
    This is enough 3D for me without buying an indexer.
    Hope the box has a name that isn't polysyllabic...almost too fancy to be called a box
    LOVE it!
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

looks great, I love to see these kind of projects