Thread: Time to say HI

Default Time to say HI

I've been a long time lurker here and I thought it was time to introduce myself. My name is Shayne and I have been working with Shopbots for almost a decade.

We started with a little 4' X 8' (PR maybe)which could have been the original model. We liked it so much that we ordered a brand new 72" X 192" PRS Alpha an it has served us well for the passed 8 years. As our production needs increased we found ourselves in need of another bot. We found a a little 60" X 144" PRT Standard whose life with us was fairly short lived. It still works well but we had to take it apart to make room for what we have come to call Frankenstein's' experiment.

IMG_1172.jpgIMG_2696.jpg

This is our newest addition. It is two PRS Alphas joined end to end with both gantries operational. It has a total cutting area of 108" X 588" or 9' X 49'. One side we call the monster and the other is the bride.

Now I know the obvious question is " What the heck are you cutting that is that big??". We manufacture synthetic teak decking for boats(Just google 'Plasdeck' that's us) and that amount of area comes in extremely handy. We mainly only cut on the monster side for now but the bride is there when we need her.

So that's a bit of our CNC history. Any comments, questions, suggestions, etc. are welcome.

That's awesome, I been looking at expanding my 48 x 96 would like to have 72 x 144
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Wow, that is kinda' Crazy!

Its huge... any trouble getting/keeping the 49' of extrusions straight? It would be neat seeing some of the parts being cut.

That monster kind of reminds me of this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuoKNZjr8_U
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Default Haldron Bot

I am working on a Haldron bot... 17 mile circle... see attached pdf..

Zoom to about 1600% / and note the line is not straight...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    Wow, that is kinda' Crazy!

Its huge... any trouble getting/keeping the 49' of extrusions straight? It would be neat seeing some of the parts being cut.
    We have it reasonably close to straight. Our material is flexible so we keep it aligned with the x-axis and we are good to go. If we cut out anything rigid we have no problems cutting within a 4' X 8' sheet. Our biggest challenge is flatness. We need to maintain a very tight depth tolerance.