Thread: Quick Tips

Default Quick Tips

I've been using Autodesk products for awhile now (first CAD job was working on AutoCAD R14) and although their software usually has several ways to complete tasks, I've always found it powerful and capable. Fusion blew me away when I started using it, maybe it's my background with Autodesk, maybe it's the time I spent at TechShop getting my feet wet with Inventor, but for quick prototyping (idea to physical product) it's a great option. In my time spent using the software I have learned a few things that I'd like to share here.

• It has built in post processor for the ShopBot
    • There's an Add-In to automatically add Dogbones to interior 90 degree corners (this is not a perfect solution yet, as it gets tripped up if you have fillets in your design)
    • Do all your designing of parts as Bodies, then convert them to Components right before laying them out for CAM.

That's it for now, but if you download the software and give it a go, I'd be more than happy to offer any help that I can. Here are some screenshots of how I use the software.

AssembledLayout.JPG CamLayout.JPG ParametricDesign.JPG PostProcessorWindow.JPG ToolPaths.JPG

Brady,

Thanks for the great post and tips. Your screenshot is the first time I've seen the ShopBot.CPS Post Process option. Do you know what the difference is between the ShopBot ISO.CPS and the regular ShopBot.CPS is?

AutoDesk moved their CAM forum that talks about Post Process.
    For folks looking for the now archived content go to: https://camforum.autodesk.com
    The AutoDesk forums can be found at: http://forums.autodesk.com - sadly I don't know how to provide the direct link to Fusion360 and you'll need a free AutoDesk login to see it. Inside the Fusion 360 section is a CAM forum.

Looking forward to seeing ShopBot Fusion 360 posts up here and learning more!

thanks,

Stephen

I've also found an AutoDesk forum on all the Post Processors they support:
    http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/post-processors/bd-p/218

useful for those wanting to edit or add custom functions.

Still looking for more details on what the Shopbot ISO.cps post processor is used for. This one was added later than the original one everyone is using.

For now I'm using the Shopbot Open SBP "Shopbot.cps" post process that creates G-code.sbp files for the PRSalpha Shopbot. For those trying to figure out the steps Autodesk has a non-audio clip showing the steps. https://knowledge.autodesk.com/commu...0-7697c9044f4e

Cool iso-post and post processing in 360 in general

Quote Originally Posted by Riptide369 View Post
    Still looking for more details on what the Shopbot ISO.cps post processor is used for. This one was added later than the original one everyone is using.

F-e021-4c53-88a0-7697c9044f4e[/url]
    Having had some issues with the post-p's tech support informed me the iso version is a alternative export version that Shopbots can read.

Stick with the standard shopbot.cps

So that others can learn from my difficulties.

If it doesn't output with the .sbp file tag automatically. Just add it to the file name it will be fine. Oddly this resolved itself automatically within a couple days of usage. (25th April 2016)

Also I find there is no start/stop spindle command being generated for some reason.
    -Solution.
    When saving the post-p file there is a option to view in nc.
    Have this box ticked.
    Then after pause command insert start spindle command. SO,1,1 and at end of file instert spindle stop SO,1,0
    R-click on the file name and save.

All should be well.

Also When outputting. Tip. you can drag the cutting tabs to change the cut order.
    and you can highlight multiple cuts to output as a single G-code file. (if same tool used)

Thanks for this last piece of golden wisdom. Since I'm pretty new to G-Code maybe you could clarify for me what you mean by "the end". Is this insertion of SO,1,0 before or after the end statement. Fusion output apretty involved list of code and I have a couple "end" statements and don't want to get this wrong. I assume this precedes the "end" statement but I'm not sure which. I did manage to get the fusion 360 code working on the shopbot but I've subsequently run into some technical difficulties. I'm not sure if my confusion about the insertion of this final statement is partly at fault . Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank-d View Post
    Having had some issues with the post-p's tech support informed me the iso version is a alternative export version that Shopbots can read.

Stick with the standard shopbot.cps

So that others can learn from my difficulties.

If it doesn't output with the .sbp file tag automatically. Just add it to the file name it will be fine. Oddly this resolved itself automatically within a couple days of usage. (25th April 2016)

Also I find there is no start/stop spindle command being generated for some reason.
    -Solution.
    When saving the post-p file there is a option to view in nc.
    Have this box ticked.
    Then after pause command insert start spindle command. SO,1,1 and at end of file instert spindle stop SO,1,0
    R-click on the file name and save.

All should be well.

Also When outputting. Tip. you can drag the cutting tabs to change the cut order.
    and you can highlight multiple cuts to output as a single G-code file. (if same tool used)
    Frank, have you downloaded the more recent post processor from the online post library?
    It also matters what version of SB3 you're using, see the attached screengrab.
    Screenshot (50).jpg