Thread: New Drag Knife

Hybrid View

Cosmos is my first name Life story located here: link

Ran some 1/16" rubber gasket material today. Easy. Tomorrow, I'd do some thick cardboard.

https://youtu.be/AEqYhbeKc6A

gasket_sm.JPG
    www.cosmos-industrial.com - Pen Marking Tools - Drag Knife

I'm looking for a diamond drag tool holder. Could this be modified to be a spring loaded diamond drag tool holder?
    I would be very interested in one.

This one is not spring loaded, just to be clear. I'm confused. I've seen diamond bits for engraving.. I'm not sure why you'd need to drag it.

I have the widgetworks diamond drag tool and use it to etch mirrors and metal objects by just dragging it across the surface on spindle on

Tormach has one for $110 less at $69. The problem is it has a 3/4" shaft and my router won't accommodate that diameter.
    I have found a few others for less than $100 and I've even considered making my own. It would just be simpler to purchase one at this time.

Some of the drag tools say they can be rotated while cutting, but most do not recommend it. I don't believe rotating a diamond will result in any better cut than dragging it across the surface.
    There are a lot of videos showing the drag cut and it is very sharp and detailed.

I'm impressed with the Cosmos tool. If I were you I'd give it a try. I'd bet they would gladly be willing to give you a refund if it didn't do what they are saying.

What kind of work are you doing? What kind of masking material are you needing to cut? I'd bet there are guys on this forum who could give advice.

Here's a most important question. Will it make you money? If so, it's nickels and dimes. I've had several custom made costing more. And as everyone knows bits can quickly loose their edge.

Attached is a photo of a panel with rubber sandblast mask. When blasting hardwood like this Yellow Pine it's necessary to have a tough mask. We apply the mask directly and cut it on the wood. I like cutting the resist a little extra deep.

Attached Images Attached Images

These are two very different products. Diamond engraving and a drag knife like mine are for very different things.

A typical Drag Knife like mine adds capability to your machine. You can slice up gaskets, cardboard, cardstock and the like easily that would be very time consuming and difficult with an end mill. If you want to do super fine very shallow cuts, it's not the optimal tool, and there are some smaller ones out there like widgets, but those won't do any sort of thickness. If you want to make vinyl signs, you're better off buying a vinyl cutting machine.

If you want, I can design a spring loaded holder for a Dremel 9929 bit (diamond engraving). I can easily beat widget's price. info@cosmos-industrial.com