Thread: Video: ShopBot CNC Rotary Indexer (for the Desktop)

Default Video: ShopBot CNC Rotary Indexer (for the Desktop)

I purchased an indexer for my Desktop last year and made a video about using it, including wrapping in Aspire. A lot of folks have found this useful, so I'm posting the link here. Hope this helps some people.

Andy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp1BkYUFTVA
    Andrew Pitts ~ FurnitureMaker
    AndrewPittsFurnitureMaker.com

Thanks Andy for posting the video.....I was looking for more video info before making my mind on the indexer.
    One question......you say that the Y axis is now the rotation axis......if you wanted to say make a slot that was an inch, say, in width in the Y direction how is that done without a Y axis? Hope I'm making sense.

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Simops
    Let me see if i can answer some questions.
    "if you wanted to say make a slot that was an inch, say, in width in the Y direction how is that done without a Y axis?"

Lets say you have a design that is 24 in X by 12 in the Y

When the design calls for the design to be cut in the Y axis, instead of moving the carriage in the Y axis, that equal amount of movement is transferred to degrees of rotation on the indexer and turns the column that equivilent of space. while keeping the router over the center of the column.

You will find that using the indexer opens up a whole new world of design and creativity.

Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Simops, as myxpykaliz said, if you want a 1 inch slot in the y axis and want it wrapped around the cylinder axis, that is, with a radius bottom of the slot, then simply make a pocket on the unwrapped material in Aspire and set up a pocketing toolpath for it. The post processor will read the pocket as degrees of rotation instead of inches of Y and cut only to the limits of the slot (1" in circumference). But, if the slot is to have a flat bottom, kind of like the flat on a shaft in a motor or small engine, then it needs a different approach. I've never tried this, but I think you could go two ways. One would be to make a separate file in Aspire with a pocket the depth you want and using a normal (non-indexing) post processor, cut that without the indexer rotating, then cut your rotating file with the indexer post processed. Another approach in Aspire might be to unwrap a flat vector (as in the Vectric tutorial at http://support.vectric.com/tutorials...ary3D_PRO.html) and sweep it the length in the x-axis required. Again, I've not tried to make a flat, and would be interested to see if it works. Maybe I'll try it the next time I have the indexer set up.
    Andy
    Andrew Pitts ~ FurnitureMaker
    AndrewPittsFurnitureMaker.com

Thanks guys.......I was in fact referring to the second point made by Andy. I'll give it some thought.....

Cheers

Hi Mike

We are going for the 6" BUT will have to do your raising the gantry trick. Can you point me in the direction of your posts on that subject. Did you get yours in Oz?
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Hi Bob......I used 8020 extrusion in imperial sizing very similar to what is used on the Buddy......I got it from the 8020 distributor in Australia situated in Sydney.....you can google 8020 and get the catalog.....then select what you need and call the distributor......he is very helpful.......I'll dig put his contact details and PM you if you like.

I only lifted mine by 1.5 inches but that was enough for me......it's amazing how just 1.5 inches can make......it's not to high with the smaller bits and yet high enough so that I no longer hit the top stop!!

You need to be careful how you plan your raising of the gantry so to ensure alignment....

The raising of the gantry and the vac system were the two best upgrades for my Buddy.....the later especially made a big difference in my cutting......hardly use screws or clamps anymore.

Cheers