Thread: Bad Day awwww

Default Bad Day awwww

HSD 2.2 hp ER 25 Spanner nut. What goes through you mind when you start to back off the Spanner nut and hear click then it locks up on the spindle?

Had to cut the nut off and clean up the spindle threads and hopeIMG_0389[1].jpgIMG_0395[1].jpgIMG_0396[1].jpgIMG_0391[1].jpg it works. It get kind of crazy to look for spindles and dives but Shopbot has one if this fix does not work out for me.

Wow that's the first time I have heard that a nut cracked. How old is the hardware? Maybe its time to inspect the nuts for cracks. Good luck with the fix, looks like you did a good job removing the nut with minimal damage.
    Life is like a project you continue to work on until it's finished.
    Never start a project you don't intend to finish!

You may want to spend for a Die and chase the thread on the spindle.

All I can say is ouch, and ask what can we all learn from this to avoid the same fate? I updated my collet nut collection about a year ago and started using the collet care solution from Think and Tinker. This has really kept things running clean and smooth, but how to predict a fracture like that? Did a number of "crashes" and /or broken bits contribute? Cheap knock- off?
    Please don't take offense to my questions - just would like more clues as to why. I appreciate you sharing and giving us all a wake up call regarding the importance of reliable tooling. Sorry about your luck.

jeff

Bleeth I ha an machinist cut it off and Die Chase the thread, So far it is working well.

jTr It is a 2007 2.2 hp HSD with very little use on it. The spanner nut shows now wear or cracks. I ran it up by hand like always tighten it and cut. When backing off I hear a pop noise and less the a turn it locked up. So order two new ER25's and 1/2" collet , back off to the races .

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I had one lock up and break the nut retainer ring the collet and bit were stuck and I used a heat gun and the collet came right out and I replaced the collet nut and collet mine was a Columbo 3.5 HP spindle with a ER 25 collet.

In my case I had been using the machine for a long period when I tightened the collet so it was all warm from use then the machine was turned off then it sat for about a week it was stuck and I broke the collet nut trying to loosen the nut. I think the temp change of the parts is what seized it up. It did not take very much heat with the heat gun for the collet to just fall out. I turned the spindle on at about 100 RPM when I used the heat gun less than a minute and the collet fell out.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC