Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D retaill therapy:)

Rick: I can't think of a walnut sub right now but you may want to check these guys out:
    http://www.gobywalnut.com/

Scott: Well done-use Brady's numbers. makes it run smoother as well as faster.

I think it's going to be a Loooong night
    File was so big I kept running out of memory, so finally said F it at 3PM and ran my first very conservative file
    WAY too conservative
    Dave, should have reread Brady's "Public Service Announcement" thread and the VR blog again about an hour earlier!
    Oh well.
    Got the crew showing up at 9am, but they Already know I'm crazy
    Running at 1.2,1.2, 17K shortcut keyed to 2.2,1.2
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scottp55; 03-11-2016 at 07:09 PM.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

With computer glitches and other problems with this 4 million plus lines of code, I got about 2 hours sleep with one eye and both ears open and fire extinguisher and smoke alarms within feet
    Running a cropped version at different settings right now that should be done in 5 hours.
    No sanding, and only last pic had oil on it.
    scott P.
    Maine

Wow Scott, I really like that tree. I did not see any fuzzies. Hope the 5hr one is as good.

Thanks David
    Cowboy E-mailed the guy and got the Tree by itself for some of his work
    Turned out to be a 7:20:30 file at 2,2,18k with a 40% stepover(but I described the flat as .005" when it's actually .01")
    At 1am it looked trashy with Maple Fuzzies, so I shut DC down and took dust foot off and did an RR....Spindle shut down 5 minutes ago.
    Pics coming after Espresso IV has finished
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott
    i am assuming that you used V carve to tool path the STL file? Do you know how many polys or points the STL has? The detail on that cut looks like the quality that I'm after. I just am wondering how dense the 3D needs to be to get there
    thanks
    Bob

I learn something new everyday, but educated me how you would v carve an stl file? That tru
    ly is a question not a smart elic response. Now in this example the tree modeling depth is set at .4. It 10.5 x 8 inches. I tried using a 1/8 inch inch ball nose but you loose way to much quality, so it was done with a 1/16. With all of the z i could imagine this one to take a lot of cutting time.

Cowboy;
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, it is a 3d cut and I believe Scott uses Vcarve. VCarve was designed to cut using vector shapes, but the newer versions of Vcarve allow you to 3d cut one placed STL 3d file per "job". You can have many pieces of geometry or type, but only one 3d part. I previously owned Aspire with my large PRS machine, and using that you could make a composite scene from as many 3d parts or STL imported files as you wanted. I am interested in Scott's answer because I am seriously considering buying a Desktop Max to use for 3d art carvings, and it comes bundled with VCarve Pro. If that is what he used to tool path the 3d of this very nice carving, I will plan on using the same process. at least for a start to cut the 3d files I am beginning to make in ZBrush.
    thanks
    Bob

You beat me to it Bob.
    Yes, only VCP8 here on the Desktops.
    I just woke up after a good 8 hours, and was just in the process of downloading pics, and was going to take some screenshots of that file size(THINK that was one that had a "small" and a "Large" .stl option(and I did the small). NO idea of polys or points.
    GREAT work Rick!
    On second one I increased model depth from .38" to .6" , but that was for the entire file(not just tree) and not sure I like it as much as the first proportional one.
    You going to curve that onto a dome for one of your plaques?
    More coming when eyelids unstick
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

I bought that oak tree to use in a carving that is a logo for a wounded vets group. But they wanted to stick with their logo tree which is very plain, but its whats they want. I am sure that i will use somewhere, maybe just as an accent

Sorry Bob i am just waking up and just misunderstood what you meant by v carve. I have just enough caffeine in me now to kick start my brain.