Thread: 3 AXIS XYZ Zero Routine Help

Default 3 AXIS XYZ Zero Routine Help

I would like to set up a 3 Axis zeroing plate much like the one currently sold by SHOPBOT but with some custom twists to suit my needs. Is there a ready to use routine to do this say much like the C2 program included with the machine. I would need the ability to program in the required offsets to suit the jig. Is the routine used by SHOPBOT for their new 3axis zero attachment available for download?

appreciate any comments.

Gerald

Gerald,

Try the link to the right. K4mg made his own jig. Here is the link to his website: http://k4mg.com/CNC/xyz.htm

Cheers,

James

James,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes I have seen the website you mention as it has been around for many years and while certainly useful it is not exactly what I am after since it relies on finding the center of a round or square even opening as a way of locating spindle position where I am more interested in finding a corner by touching off on flat sides. Ideally I would like to be able to touch off on 2 spots on both an X and Y face and then not only determine the location of a corner but also indicate if the material is rotated with respect to the XY axis or possibly even if the corner is a true 90 degrees. Ultimately the goal would be a way to use the simple touch off jig and a software routine to calculate any relative rotation of the mounted material and then apply a correction factor to the parts program to cut square to the material. In other words a co-ordinate system rotation to allow for the fact that stock is not mounted on the table square to the axis motion. This could be very useful when trying to cut parts that are just undersized to the available material and do not give you much margin for error. And yes of course just more time spent on set up can also solve this problem but the idea of just quickly eyeball mounting the material and having the software apply the correction is very appealing to me.

gerald

Perhaps the XY zeroing plate/files I've been using would help and be a starting point for you. Again, it uses a hole in the center of the plate to find the X Y zero corner of a blank, fixture, or table. Maybe you can adapt it for rotation somehow (haven't really thought about it).
    Scott