Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use of ShopBot in high school woodworking program

jvaldez@gusd.k12.ca.us Guest

Default Use of ShopBot in high school woodworking program

Hi shop botters,
    I have been trying to get info on the ShopBot unit to use in a High School woodworking program. Do we have any drafting/woodworking/technology teachers that are using the Shopbot CNC unit in a school setting? I am seriously interested in purchasing one of these unit for my program but I would like get more info on the unit to see if it would be applicable and beneficial to my program. I welcome any and all information on the subject from any and all sources. I would also like to make contact with someone who is using this unit and is located in the San Jose/San Francisco bay area. Thank you in advance for your input.

gary999s@aol.com Guest

Ed_ufford@rsd.edu Guest

To Jesus Valdez---
    I am also a Woodworking/Drafting/Technology teacher in Richland, Washington. My students have been using the ShopBot for over 4 years now with great success. Last year my class received contract to build 14 custom two-sided bookcases for a local bookstore. We used the Shopbot to cut 90% of the project and drill over 5000 shelve pin holes. Saved us about 2 months worth of work-- and every bookcase was perfect. If your Drafting students know CADD, then converting a CADD file to a Shopbot file is simple. We also used it to make an 8 foot 3D Falcon out of plywood and various other projects. This is a great low cost machine. Get it if you can.
    Email, me if you would like more info.

Jesus,
    I have a ShopBot in your area.
    I sent you an e-mail, but it bounced back.
    Send me an e-mail, I will send you info.
    Rick

speicher@totelcsi.net Guest

I am also a woodworking/cad/cam teacher in Caney, Kansas. We recieved our ShopBot in November of 2001. It's impact has changed my students as well as my curriculum. It is an amazing tool and it's the talk of our community. It's also exposing my students to the world of technology communications. We communicate with fellow shopbotters, corel users and vector users through the forums. I also exchange e-mails from developers of shopbot goodies,(ex; Mark Dreiling Bartlesville Okla.). The machine has great support and it's affordable for schools to purchase. As for projects I'm still refining those but we do make the cd rack that comes with the shopbot software. We also make a foot stool with a bulldog routed on the top . I have also used my manufacturing class as signmakers for area consumers to purchase! Al

jvaldez@gusd.k12.ca.us Guest

I wish to thank Gary,Ed,Alan and Rick for their comments to my query on the ShotBot CNC in high Schools. All the feedback has been very postive and with a little more time and research I will be making my decision. I especially want to thank Rick Samish who extended an invitation to see the ShotBot in action. I will be contacting Rick soon. Thank again! Jesus

jmw60010@yahoo.com Guest

I teach drafting/CAD, and Tech Ed in Crystal Lake Illinois. We have several bench top CNC machines in our tech lab and the Shop Bot was the most recent addition. The students love it! I have used the Shop Bot in my drafting classes to show my students not only the the importance of accuracy in their drawings, but that their drawings can act as a road map for the router to follow. They just eat this stuff up. I have prepared seven "self-guided" activities for use in our tech lab. A pair of students can expect to spend about nine class periods completing the lessons. I have been in contact with Donna at ShopBot and was planning on giving her the activities for distribution along with the contributions of others. She should have these materials by 2/22. If you have a burning desire to see these activities right away, drop me an e-mail and I can zap them to you.

hallwl@hotmail.com Guest

I teach at a rural school in central Ohio. We purchased a ShopBot last May to use with our Tech Prep Engineering class.
    We've used it to do joint work, cut Metric 500 cars, and signs for a junior class find raiser.
    (Oval signs that say "Rockets Live Here")
    I even went off the deep end and bought a machine for my garage. Crazy.... but call it my boat. My wife likes it because it keeps me in the garage.
    The ShopBot is like a magnet with the kids as well as adults. I'll gladly share a cnc unit that I'm in the process of perfecting if anyone wants it. It's in draft form.
    Two of our area teachers are also buying machines. He doesn't know it yet but we plan to hire John Forney to do some training when they get their machines set up.

jfhammond@kwic.com Guest

I am a boatbuider, artist and teacher at a Secondary School in southern Ontario, Canada.
    I am hoping to purchase a new or used shopbot to help speed up my glued-lapstake double-ended row/sailboat construction as well as my flatbottom skiff construction time.
    I keep reading about how many schools have these machines and wonder what kind of budget you have and if you are in pivate schools or public schools.
    I know for a fact that our tech. teachers would love to have one for the class but, if they asked for one, the board would laugh them out of the office.

On the other hand I am extremely jealous that this is being offered to your students. What a treat!

I'll mail you back when I am up and running and maybe we can exchange some ideas on fundraising projects.
    One project that seems like it will work is Adriondack chairs made by a shopbot and painted with funky designs ie. "absolute vodka ads" and then raffled off or simply sold. Art and woodshop would benefit.
    Any comments?

Jim Hammond innerbayboats.com

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca Guest

I received and email from a teacher who saw a reference to my video's of coreldraw on the forum.. His question was can you make a video of
    a shopbot screen with different settings..Yes..
    but what he really wanted was to capture the screen settings for a document for the class..

Here's how to: reduce your shopbot screen to the
    start bar..then right click to bring up the properties screen...then click on screen...then default.. now you have a shopbot window..which can
    be: (alt print screen) and pasted into microsoft word or your processor of choice..