Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Posts

Default Sign Posts

Anyone entering the sign trade and wants to get a little edge on the competition I'd suggest looking at Sign Posts. We often see nice signs with good layout and colors attached to a couple of cheap 4"X4" posts which isn't complementary to the sign or artists.

I don't think there's much thought about posts. As important as they are the subject is left the end of the process and just anything will do. But let me warn you, in advance, attractive post can devour time. You need to price these separately. To help a little, here's a couple of hints that will shorten the process. First option would be to purchase 6"X6" treated posts. That will give the sign a much more substantial look. The second suggestion is to skin your treated post with woodgrain siding. It comes from the big box stores in 12"X10' and is relatively cheap. Then you can give a little top and bottom treatment with the same material.

One of the techniques is to flute the posts. It's gives an elegant look but it's time consuming. One of the photo's shows Extira being milled.

I've been making decorative posts for years and must say they make my plain signs stand out. It's been one of my secret keys to success.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com

Attached Images Attached Images

Here are few more examples.

Please note the Farmers Insurance Sign. It's a very plain and simple logo. That was my challenge. How could I get an edge and keep it from looking boaring? The obvious answer was to build a post system. To the best of my knowledge this is an unique concept. The net effect was four of these for other agents.

I'm for making posts as simple as possible. In my shop at this time is another post and panel dental sign. I'll post a few snaps as I go along.

If you don't have the larger 6"X6" treated posts, no problem. Use the common 4X4 and screw a two by four to the side. Since it's going to be skinned with wood grain siding the customer will never know.

Joe

www.normansignco.com

Thank you for the information on posts. What finish are you using on the outside of the insurance sign? Textured paint?

Thanks again,
    Stephen R.

Stephen,

Thanks for the request of information about texturing.

Here are a couple of photo's showing texturing materials that work well for exterior use. Another one of my favorites is Crack Filler made by Coastal Enterprises. The technique I use is to apply a heavy coats, when dry come back with a block sander for a smoother surface. Don't worry about getting too much texture. It will come down quickly with a little hand sanding.

Here's a note on the insurance sign. The posts were made from Extira, ending up being a little too soft. Once the sign was nudged by a moving tractor it needed considerable repair. When I arrived the sign was leaning over with the whole structure racked out of shape. It's a heart breaker.

If you use wood grain siding material from your lumberyard, you may get by without a texture.

Joe

Excellent. Thank you for the info Joe. I appreciate it.

I'm wondering why there aren't more photo's being posted on projects. Are there fewer people creating and routing? At one time we were treated to all sorts of routing projects from cabinetry and signs to What-nots.

Perhaps the answer is that todays SB owners are now part time, hobby types who by nature are not as productive. Those of us business owners find it necessary to keep producing in to keep the doors open. It seems to me most of the posts are on small technical questions are on topics like feeds and speeds or vacuum hold downs and topics like that. Sure would be nice to see more commercial work being posted.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    I'm wondering why there aren't more photo's being posted on projects. Are there fewer people creating and routing? At one time we were treated to all sorts of routing projects from cabinetry and signs to What-nots.

Perhaps the answer is that todays SB owners are now part time, hobby types who by nature are not as productive. Those of us business owners find it necessary to keep producing in to keep the doors open. It seems to me most of the posts are on small technical questions are on topics like feeds and speeds or vacuum hold downs and topics like that. Sure would be nice to see more commercial work being posted.
    In my local market, the shift in signs is more and more towards vinyl signs, fewer and fewer carved / intricate signs like you post, which is a shame. I really like seeing the work and how you do it, but I do fall into the hobby category, so I don't produce as frequently as a business owner like you. And cabinets builders are using are much simpler, mass market boxes and less custom designed cabinets nowadays (at least in my local market).
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Joe

To answer your question I wish there was more post on work.Most people are retired or on there way .I love this form for sharing and learning there are egos here [ if i here one more I have 26 years experience I'm still scared of the table saw ] I read your posts as a kid who opens Christmas presents .I trying to get more balance in my work .I will post some work tonight
    For now here goes

Kevin,

Now that's a fine piece of cabinetry. It looks like it came from that part of the world. Sturdy,strong and beautifully finished.

Thanks for posting.

Joe

Daniel,

It's true there aren't many dimensional sign artist as compared to the vinyl guys. I have no problem with the vinyl sticker folks. Glad they are out there doing the work I'd never want to do. Next to my phone is a list of sign shops where I'm glad to send customers. This is the only active forum I know that supports a large newby sign artists. It's good to see posts like yours.

Joe