Thread: foamular 250 feeds and speeds?

Default foamular 250 feeds and speeds?

hey yall,

Im taking on a big project this semester, im milling out a full scale motorcycle of my design for my last senior studio at CCS detroit. im kind of new to 3d milling and im a noob with feeds and speeds currently.

so what i'd like to ask yall is what is the most time effective feeds and speeds/end mill combo to use? im going to mill out the bike in sections, using 2" foamular. i might laminate two together so i can mill 4" each go, with a total end goal of about 18 inches. in other words, a buttload of time. im not worried at all about the quality of the roughing path so long as it doesnt affect the finishing path.

im thinking i was going to use a 1" endmill for the roughing path and a 1/4" ball nose for the finishing pass, but i feel like i could do better?

i tried looking around on the forum and i found a little bit but im curious to know the absolute best for foamular!

any help is greatly appreciated, and i'll post pics when i start milling!
    (if any more info is needed i'll get the info for yall)

thanks!

I don't have an answer for you. I have a link that might help you decide the best feed and speed for your machine. Start out conservative and increase from there and use the link to help speed up even more. http://www.shopbotblog.com/2008/03/a...m-performance/

Check out the last page of this document. The document is a dated “router bit basics” article I edited a number of years ago… The last page is some testing Steve Knight did on cutting foam. Hope it answers your questions!
    SG
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8G...ew?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by dmidkiff View Post
    I don't have an answer for you. I have a link that might help you decide the best feed and speed for your machine. Start out conservative and increase from there and use the link to help speed up even more. http://www.shopbotblog.com/2008/03/a...m-performance/
    some good stuff on there, i'll give it an in depth read, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Check out the last page of this document. The document is a dated “router bit basics” article I edited a number of years ago… The last page is some testing Steve Knight did on cutting foam. Hope it answers your questions!
    SG
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8G...ew?usp=sharing
    great document! very helpful, i think i saw that image on one of the threads previously before i joined but it does help tremendously.

we have vcarve and cut3d for our shopbot and i'll be using cut3d for my project. since the conventional cut seems to do a better job than the climb cut, i'd like to mess around with it and see if it works for me. only issue with that is i cant seem to find any option for that within the cut3d software... am i missing something?

i appreciate the help guys, i'll be sure to post my findings when i get around to actually cutting it too!

That is the best document I have read on router bits. What a great collection of knowledge. I am saving it to my ShopBot documentation.

Thanks

Larry
    "The real measure of our wealth is how much we should be worth if we lost all our money."

― John Henry Jowett