Thread: Suddenly -Tool Stop Button On - message

Default Suddenly -Tool Stop Button On - message

ShopBotError SM.jpgGetting this message frequently. Button IS NOT physically on. I zero board. Start to run. It starts cutting profile on the first one of 6 rectangles. Tool path set to run 2 climb cuts, go to next rectangle and do the same thing. When all 6 are climb cut, repeat with conventional cut on all. First rectangle gets first climb pass. Second pass starts, gets partway around then throws “== !!!! Tool Stop Button On !!!! ==" and router is raised up.

If I restart the job it usually stops at same place, but not always. If I power down, and restart the machine, it will usually do the same thing but not necessarily at the same point. I’m using a short bit, 1" cutting length I believe. Can’t lower it in the collet any more.

Yesterday after experiencing this, changed to a different job. Put in a different bit. Job ran fine for all 5 sheets.

I did change routers (75182) last week BUT before removing old one, slid a block under it so it wouldn’t drop when I loosened the collar AND so the new one was at the same place. Ran several jobs last week with no issues until this problem child run this week. I’ve used this same bit in the past without issue.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by JimDav; 03-15-2016 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add pic

Update: Changed bit to a longer one and ran the SAME file. All was well. However, used a .25 bit today, not the 5mm so profile size is different. Wanted to use the 5mm to cut four .25 holes without setting my house on fire. Previously using a .25 bit to cut .25 hole started my spoil board on fire- twice.

At this point I'm going to re-create the file using the .25 bit but there is something wrong causing this that has to be resolved. Tried to resurface the spoil board the other day - another short bit - and got the same situation as the 5mm short bit.

No one has any ideas?

sounds like you are tripping a limit switch
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

or when the Z goes down it is pulling a wire, where is your stop switch located?
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lucas View Post
    sounds like you are tripping a limit switch
    Yes I am but don't know how. Don't know where my z stop switch limit is, have looked but don't see anything like on the x & Y rails. If you mean the physical stop button, it is hanging nearby and not being touched, just stop 4 comes on. As indicated in my first post, I did replace the router but since I had a physical block under the router frame when I loosened the bolt to lift it out and put the new on in by dropping it onto the block without moving it, therefore the unit is in the same position other than perhaps a thousand of an inch or two from before. It seems to me any software or limit switches should would not have been affected. But a key fact is it happened with 2 short bits. About pulling a wire, no BUT the new 75182 has a larger rubber stress relieve boot on the 110 power cord than the old one. It is rubbing on the frame a bit. I have not tied back out of the way yet. Actually want to rotate the motor some in the frame but didn't what to introduce another variable with this issue. Thanks for your response. PS I'm not real experienced yet.

Are you sure you're not bottoming out on the lower hard stop? You could be just close enough that it will or won't trip the drivers (fault out) depending on the length of your tool, depth of your cut, or the position you happen to be tightening it in the collet.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Are you sure you're not bottoming out on the lower hard stop? You could be just close enough that it will or won't trip the drivers (fault out) depending on the length of your tool, depth of your cut, or the position you happen to be tightening it in the collet.
    Not sure of anything at this point. Would think if it bottomed out it would stop and the end of the ramping rather than cutting perhaps 15 more inches including a 90 degree turn.

Called ShopBot today, no real solution but a couple of things to try. Was going to do that but then one of the Fein III units died and I lost vacuum. It's been a rough 10 days - hot water tank died, Bot router died next day, then mouse on Bot died, 2 days later Internet router died, today Fein died plus a few other hassles in life as well.

On a positive note - I actually found a Fein Turbo iii locally. Must be the last one in the USA. Learned a month ago that they were no longer available and try as I might, could not find any on the internet. Thought I might get one for the eventual need. Didn't expect the need to arise so soon.

I didn't see where you said what material you were cutting? If it is MDF that is your problem. You need to ground your dust collection system because static electricity builds up and is causing the shorts in the system.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

12mm Baltic Birch. No dust collection on system yet.