Thread: Tool Library for ShopBot Bits

Question Tool Library for ShopBot Bits

Does ShopBot have a Tool Library for the bits they sale?

It would be great if someone could share a tool library for the Desktop 7 Piece Kit and Router Bit Starter Kit (both $195 on Shopbot Tools).

Seems like if Shopbot posted the library file for V-Carve and AutoDesk Fusion 360 right next to the option to buy the bits from ShopBot they could help newbies reduce the huge barrier in having to troll through the large libraries trying to find a "match" for their bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the tool database straight from Shopbot the 2 starter sets are in there for you.
    Is this what you meant?
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

He's talking about Fusion 360, not V-Carve, scott. I wonder if it would be possible to import the tool library from VCP into Fusion? Just thinking out loud...
    PRS Alpha 96" x 60"

Just curious if anyone has done this yet. I've only had my Shopbot for a couple of weeks, but last night I cut my first Fusion 360 parts after hours of watching videos and playing with the application. I prefer Fusion 360 over Vcarve Pro because the drawing tools are better. Today I'm trying to set up a tool library around the Desktop Max starter set. If no one has done this, once I finish I will see if I can share it through the cloud. At this point, Fusion 360 cloud is done for an upgrade.

Default Fusion & Vectric

I am not quite sure with Fusion, but I believe if you save the Fusion line-work to a dxf format file, you can import that into Vectric for the toolpaths.

You might be able to have both programs open and copy and paste Fusion dxf lines, arcs ... with right click commands.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I haven't tried importing Fusion 360 into Vcarve pro to generate toolpaths, but I did load the same .dxf file for CNC clamps into both Vcarve and Fusion 360, then used the same feed and speeds in both (based on the Vcarve tool library for the bit I was using). Fusion 360 produced a more efficient tool path (21 minutes vs. 29 minutes in Vcarve). The downside is that it took longer to set up the model and CAM in Fusion 360. I generally prefer Fusion 360 over Vcarve for 2.5D work, because Fusion runs on Macs, has a more modern, less modal, user interface, better drawing tools, and possibly better (though far harder to set up) CAM. Vcarve is great for signs and dragknife work. At some point I'll have to try importing from Fusion to Vcarve, as there may be benefits to combining the two.

I recently tried to create a 3D body in Fusion, saved it as an STL file and openned it in VCarve without problem. I was able to generate roughing and finishing toolpaths with VCarve.

I did use autocad 2013 to create some 3D forms but fusion is much easier to work with even though it still have some problems (crashes, etc.) I think it well worth learning. Arter all what is a CNC good if you don't have the proper data files.

A little late to the party, but I made a Fusion tool library for common materials for the Desktop Bit Kit.
    Chipload is based on Onsrud's charts for 1x diameter cut depth. Use with some caution, I haven't tested a lot of these yet.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jd?usp=sharing

Kennon,
    Thank you for uploading those. For some reason the Hard plastic and soft plastic tool groups won't show up in my tool library, but all the rest look good.