Thread: How to get work?

LM Custom Woodcrafts, Cortlandt Manor New York

Default How to get work?

Wondering which methods work best, how to find contacts, etc.... Looking to cut parts, MDF doors, whatever pays the bills during slow times. Any tips appreciated.

Lou, guess thats the secret to avoid "slow times" by not having them. But it's reality for most and there are many ways to get business. The problem seems that IF one has to sell, design, quote, buy materials, make parts, finish parts, do accounting and collection, it can't be all done at once or by one person without sacrificing time from selling or other tasks.
    That being said the single most important selling tool I can recommend is a blog or web site or both to showcase examples of work you do.
    Once you begin to get some web ranking folks will find you depending on your site, key words, metatags etc.
    Even without that, you can at least engage in a phone call and direct folks to your web photos to shorten the sales cycle and minimize printed materials expense.
    Of course you could hire sales people,blast e-mails totargets, hire independent reps, or do it yourself but somehow you must let customers you're there, what you do, and solicit their business.
    Once you find a winner, look for other customers like them or competitors to them to leverage common design styles, methods, materials, etc and always be on the look out for new ideas techniques,materials, and markets.
    Ask your customers IF they know anyone who could use your services. Ask everyone you meet that question.

Then contact suppliers, get sample materials, and discuss what you are doing with the supplier sales person. They can refer you to other customers who you may be able to help out.
    Of course if one does all that it shouldn't be slow but its hard to do everything all the time but thats the way it is unless you find a rich niche, design and market your own products, or a ongoing plumb customer for repeat business. Regardless its a bit of work and each must find their best path so best of luck and hope this helped a little.

You're right on Jerry.
    Most of us are not salesmen,but eventually need become one.I've been one since 1984

Erminio

Erminio,

Everything Jerry said is correct. Let me also add the benefit of making samples of your work. Over the years I've collected samples of my routed signs to show clients. Most people don't have a clue as to what you can do or how it would look. Give'em a chance to see your talent.

Joe

That's true.A portfolio is essential,especially after the first contact.This is were a good website would be very useful.It is like visiting your shop
    without taking time away from your work.

Erminio,

Over the years I've compiles several portfolios, showing jobs we've completed. It really helps. A good website is validation. However, sample pieces showing textures, colors, shapes, and designs are the final sales tool.

I'm also very careful not to over sell a job. If a client developes expecations beyond whats going to happen, there's probably going to be trouble.

Here are my best sales tools. This is just for me however.
    1 Website
    2 Portfolio
    3 Samples

www.normansignco.com

Great suggestions,but I think Lou wants to know about the first step.What how do you get to the point to show your samples/portfolio?

Cold calls-Call sign shops/woodshops/builders/graphic design companies-
    any one that could use CNC,but don't know they need CNC

Eventually you'll get a bite or two or three

That's what I mean about being a salesman

I had been meaning to get this post on the forum earlier, but I thought this would be the proper thread considering Joe's post above. He's right to list "Website" at the top of his list. Having a great website is absolutely essential these days, and it's a great way to post a virtual showroom for potential customers to see examples of your work. There are two major ways customers find your site: 1. Typing your url (which they get from your business card or ad) and 2. By doing a web search. When constructing your site, make sure to include as many relevant key words in the body of your website. This will increase your chances of appearing higher in the results list when someone does a keyword search. The other way to increase your ranking - and one that many people don't know about - is to increase your website's legitimate outgoing and incoming links. Be sure to link to your partners, your customers and your suppliers - like ShopBot! We have been receiving requests from ShopBotters for ShopBot logos to use on their websites and for permission to link their sites to ours. We think this is a great idea and we encourage it; just send me an email and let me know so I can get you the proper logo. This helps your customers find you and also helps our customers find us. There are also many other opportunities to have your website linked from the ShopBot page. Happenings in the Shops, Spotlight on ShopBotters and ShopBotters in the News are great opportunities to showcase yourself, your shop and what you're doing with your ShopBo, and every feature includes links back to your site. There are even opportunities to become a regular columnist, specializing in specific applications. You don't have to do intricate 3D carving or high-output production to be included. There are many ShopBotters who simply cut "parts," and your story may be more interesting to them than you think.