Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a practical method of “scanning” a large surface?

The fastest way I can imagine to do this is to take a photo along the long axis of the board, import that into your 3D software, and then bend the type layout to match the curve in the photo. It is very quick and dirty, but may be effective enough.

I have a digitizing probe and you could use a large grid (maybe 2"x2")to get a basic representation of a surface quickly, but could probably not hit your $70 price point for a one-off design, due to the time required for the 3D scan.

A third possibility would be a 2d scan. In a similar fashion to the photo method, which would give you a rough guide of the curve on a single axis, you can do a single pass probe scan down the board. Instead of a grid, you would probe a straight line of sample points down the long axis of the board, generating a curved line the shape of the board.

We just got a 3d scanner in our shop, it's a $500 upfront investment, but would make quick work of your problem.
    http://skanect.occipital.com/download/

I would love to hear how this is working for you and see an example. Thanks Gene

Quote Originally Posted by ADAPT_Shop-Brady View Post
    We just got a 3d scanner in our shop, it's a $500 upfront investment, but would make quick work of your problem.
    http://skanect.occipital.com/download/
    interesting, especially the support for the Kinect for X-Box 360, you can pick those up cheap, so easy to try out the free version and see if it'll work for your needs.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

At the prices you are talking about I personally don't see a high tech solution being too practical. You might try breaking your vcarve into smaller sections and level and carve in a few smaller setups. Bob

I’m with Gene… I’d like to see what others have done! $500 would be a cheap solution!
    SG

So just for a simulation of what you guys are talking about, Here is a scan of a floor mat with my computer bag under it to give it some "warp".

https://skfb.ly/PTGB

I can export this as an stl file which could be imported to your design software.
    Last edited by ADAPT_Shop-Brady; 06-27-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: removed embedded viewer because it didn't work

Thanks Adapt- even picts would be helpful. Thanks Gene

Adapt_Shop-Brady very interested in the scanner STL. The structure sensor doesn't quite say it can give you measurable 3D models. Can both the sensor and software yield a measurable model to reference at your fingertips, and thus useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-3344 View Post
    Adapt_Shop-Brady very interested in the scanner STL. The structure sensor doesn't quite say it can give you measurable 3D models. Can both the sensor and software yield a measurable model to reference at your fingertips, and thus useful?
    We use ours to scan bead filled vacuum formed cushions that we then carve into foam on our bot.

We use these for children with disabilities (make seat and back cushions for their seating) and I can attest to the accuracy being REALLY good. Might not be perfect, but our kids can be pretty unique and the form/scan/carve/fit process works for us.